Cheap Bastard Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can check yourself... take your serial numbers and find out the manufacture dates. I was once a customer of the aforementioned place prior to opening a dive shop and you're right - they stand behind what they sell... I never said they didn't.

They do however sell old inventory... as my item was a 2 year old Atmos 500 AI. they also sell returns... as one customer of mine received an item with water spots on it - proving it had been in the water.

Now they actually list items as "Used" but it is such small print that many buyers don't realize what they are getting until it gets to them.

I worked at a golf course during the summers and lost count of how many times in a day people complained about the green fees, which were the lowest in the area and had not been raised in several years. I don't complain about the fees for a chartered boat because I realize it is something I love to do, the boat needs to make at least a little profit (hopefully), the boat feeds me, the boat feeds me.

You apparently have no idea what a dirty little world the Scuba Industry is...

Yeah, I do! My husband worked in a dive shop for quite a number of years, (7 to be exact) in one of the most competitive markets there is, Oahu. A dive shop that was in business for over 20 years before the owner closed his doors to retire to the PI. I knew what the costs were at the time on pretty much everything and I know how it all works. I was also very good friends with the shop owner and at times, helped out by working at the shop. I've seen all the catalogs, I know what the mark-up on dive gear is and all about tiered pricing. In addition, I do have a degree in business and tiered pricing is hardly a concept unique to the SCUBA industry. Pretty much every Mom and Pop shop of any sort fights the same battle against the big box retailers. So Mr. LDS owner, welcome to everyone else's business reality!

As far as old inventory and returns, are you really so niave to think that doesn't happen in any LDS? If so, I got a bridge to sell you....

Furthermore, you've given us nice little taste of exactly what kind of good will you are creating in your own LDS. So when your customers tire of your "poor me" attitude and take their business elsewhere, I'll be the one to toot the first horn at your pity party! Awwwww!

When I was trained, there were two elements to proper use of the tables - depth and time at depth.

Did you do your calculation while you were still underwater in your OW class? Was your instructor ever without you in your OW class? Did everyone in your OW class have a different bottom time?

Furthermore, if your students managed to get to their dive class on time, I think it's pretty safe to say that they understand the concept of timekeeping.

Last edited:
The class included the pool. I guess they all do, but the class doesn't cover the OW certification dives. I just pulled out my receipts:
OW Class: $300
Checkout trip: $250
Equip Rental for Trip: $100

While it is way more than you would pay here for a dive class, the kind of combined shop matrix thing that is going on there would jack things especially if multiple boat charters are part of the package.

The multiple certs may have jacked the price up too but may just be that one shop does one, one does the other.

What becomes objectionable is the requiring of a dive knife, gloves and such in an OW class. That's truly where it is clear you were being scammed for that if nothing else!

While it is way more than you would pay here for a dive class, the kind of combined shop matrix thing that is going on there would jack things especially if multiple boat charters are part of the package.

The multiple certs may have jacked the price up too but may just be that one shop does one, one does the other.

What becomes objectionable is the requiring of a dive knife, gloves and such in an OW class. That's truly where it is clear you were being scammed for that if nothing else!

I don't think I'd believe a thing Mei Ling says... she's obviously a manufacturer plant here on the board

A first step in appraising anybody's credibility is identifying their conflicts of interest. So when a dive shop owner complains about Leisurepro we have to take it with a grain of salt because of the obvious conflict, because we've heard it from other dive shop owners, and because our collective experience belies their assertions.

Mei Ling may be a manufacturer's shill, but we really have no reason to believe that, do we?

A first step in appraising anybody's credibility is identifying their conflicts of interest. So when a dive shop owner complains about Leisurepro we have to take it with a grain of salt because of the obvious conflict, because we've heard it from other dive shop owners, and because our collective experience belies their assertions.

Mei Ling may be a manufacturer's shill, but we really have no reason to believe that, do we?

look, I've had more than one major manufacturers CEO (President) - not some flunky sales rep (those are the ones who lie) tell me that thier competitors are shipping pallets of goods to the online sellers.

I have no problem with this if MAP pricing is done away with. It seems as though the goal is to put the dive shops out of business. Whenever I try to advertise a competitive price... I get a call from the sales rep telling me I'm in violation of the MAP policy and I'm threatended with having my dealership yanked.

I have no problem operating at smaller margins if I'm allowed to compete - because I am a good business person who can make such adjustments. The problem is we're not allowed to complete. I can build a website as good or better than Leisurepro's and sell at or below their prices - which is something I do everyday - only I'm not allowed to advertise it.

Stores must be able to advertise to be successful. How many local dive shops do you see running ads with specials in them? A few yes... but they all should be.... and in the current climate... if they run ads competing with Leisurepro prices... sales reps will light up their phone lines with threats.

That is the BS here... Competitive pricing I can live with... and win with... but when manufacturers reps flat out lie to my face and threaten me... that I can not live with.

It is also pitiful when I can buy something from Leisurepro for less than my cost is to buy it from my manufacturer...

Just setting the record straight here folks... I was a Leisurepro customer for years... there is good and bad in dealing with them... and I'll admit more good than bad... but I beat their prices everyday... and that's about the best advertising I'm allowed to give you!

I don't think I'd believe a thing Mei Ling says... she's obviously a manufacturer plant here on the board

I don't suppose you would mind expanding on the rational behind your conclusion. Or is this just another off-the-wall claim we tend to hear from some "dive professionals"?

I don't suppose you would mind expanding on the rational behind your conclusion. Or is this just another off-the-wall claim we tend to hear from some "dive professionals"?

Well, "off the wall" is his name, you know. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom