Charters not accepting certain agencies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AustinV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone run into charters that are picky about which agencies they'll accept C Cards from? (Speaking mainly of the main agencies, not lesser known ones)

I recently ran into a charter that wouldn't accept SDI Open Water certifications. This caught my eye as I did my OW with SDI and later my AOW with a NAUI shop. I had always been told that SDI was no different than PADI or any other agency, and when seeing the training others have gotten from other agencies I always felt mine was on par or exceeded theirs. The only thing I can remember being mentioned as different with SDI is that they don't require teaching tables, they cover the computer from the beginning. Our instructor thoroughly covered tables so I don't feel like I missed anything on that aspect.

It is irrelevant to me as I am past OW and with a different agency to boot, but this was the first time I have seen an operator specify an agency like this. Here is the wording from their website for anyone who is curious:

All participants must be certified through an internationally recognized and accepted Scuba Training Agency. Scuba Diving International, SDI certification is not recognized by the industry to meet the minimum standards of training for Open Water Diving and will not be accepted. If you have a question if your training or certification meets the minimum industry standard, feel free to give us a call or compare your training to the below Industry Standard.

Industry standards require a minimum course that includes: 12 hours academics, with an instructor in a classroom (not online), 12 hours pool training with an instructor, and 5 open water dives including 4 on Scuba and one skin dive.

I guess I'd find a new charter. SDI has been a member of the RSTC since 2004.

Please tell where this dive op is and its name so I'll be sure never to use them. I'm SDI certified myself (OW, AOW, and Nitrox) and have never had a problem anywhere. I've had one boat captain make a joke about it but didn't refuse me boarding the boat.

I would wonder if they are not accepting SDI because SDI found something amiss with their operation and the dive op is just retaliating with this policy.

I guess I'd find a new charter. SDI has been a member of the RSTC since 2004.

Yes, like I said it doesn't affect me at all, but I found it odd since I know most OW programs as far as I know to be "apples to apples". This is the first time I have seen any operator call out a specific major agency like that. Perhaps this operator has had several bad experiences with divers certified by that agency?

Would hope we are not moving in a direction where operators pick and choose which agencies they'll accept when taking divers out.

Please tell where this dive op is and its name so I'll be sure never to use them. I'm SDI certified myself (OW, AOW, and Nitrox) and have never had a problem anywhere. I've had one boat captain make a joke about it but didn't refuse me boarding the boat.

I would wonder if they are not accepting SDI because SDI found something amiss with their operation and the dive op is just retaliating with this policy.

It's posted on their public website so I wouldn't think they would mind me posting it, the operation is Viking Dive Charters out of Pensacola. Was looking into Oriskany charters and came across that on their site.

Yes, like I said it doesn't affect me at all, but I found it odd since I know most OW programs as far as I know to be "apples to apples". This is the first time I have seen any operator call out a specific major agency like that. Perhaps this operator has had several bad experiences with divers certified by that agency?

Would hope we are not moving in a direction where operators pick and choose which agencies they'll accept when taking divers out.
I actually have no issues with this. I do have a problem with certain agencies, although it's more often the instructor than the agency, at least at the recreational level. If the charter operator has issues with the way SDI runs it's courses, and they can't get an explanation or relief from SDI, then by all means their boat their rules.

Ah. They are in the same town as MBT divers. I like MBT personally, and have dove with them multiple times. But I wonder if there is more to the story....

Sure - I can see that Wookie, totally understand what you're saying. And it is their boat, they are allowed to turn down a paying customer if they feel it is unsafe or they are underqualified, that I am 100% fine with. Just first time I have come across it, and like you said it's more instructor based than agency based. I recently dove on a boat where the Captain and I talked extensively about how he didn't like instructors from one of the quarries I frequent but he had no hesitation in letting me dive, just told me a few stories, all humorous because they ended well.

I guess I should say I would hate to travel and get to a boat and be turned down because they don't like my agency, one good thing is this operator seems to be putting it out there from the get go, I can assume when people call to book dives they cover this as well.

From the Viking website if anyone doesn't want to look it up.

Since the Mighty "O" is not your typical dive site there are basic qualification requirements we look for before taking someone out to this wreck.
1) You must have a minimum of 20 logged dives or Advanced certification.
2) You must dive with a dive computer and dive safety sausage.
3) You must dive with a dive buddy or our Dive Master (provided free of charge)
4) You must stay above 130 feet (the flightdeck is at 145 feet)
The Captain or Dive Master always reserves the right to superceed any of these requirements based on individual divers proficiency and demonstration of skills.
(NOTE: Divers certified through SDI (Scuba Diving International) will be required to have a minimum of 50 logged dives or a Dive Master certification and must dive with one of our Dive Masters.)

I would sure like to know the story behind these requirements. I would have no problem diving with one of their dive masters since they are provided free of charge, but to single out a single agency like this is odd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom