Question Change sorb between dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fanling

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm not a rebreather diver yet. I wonder do you dissemble and assemble the whole unit and go through the whole checklist or just the canister related steps only? Thks

I'm not a rebreather diver yet. I wonder do you dissemble and assemble the whole unit and go through the whole checklist or just the canister related steps only? Thks
Depends. How long ago was the last dive? Last week, last night? Last month?

2 dives in a day is different than 2 dives in a week or a month. An instructor should be the best guide here. You will also add into the equation experience over time as you learn whatever unit you're using.

For me:

2 dives in a day im definitely using my stack timer and not opening anything up unless there's an issue

2 dive in a week I'll pop the head and scrubber let the scrubber dry briefly and dry bag it. Checklist applies to what I disassembled, plus pre dive routines. Probably some loop and exhale lung sanitizing depending.

2 dives in a month. Mostly the same, but I most likely have taken the whole unit apart for sanitizing and essentially 100% new checklist. Sorb may be used from stack timer depending on type of diving at hand.

While the checklist is objective there are a few small subjective matters that imo come to you with experience.

Your first hours on the unit should be 100% objective until you build the experience to determine best course.

@fanling - sometimes. What is the concern? Complexity? If so, replacing sorb between dives is not as complex as you may think.

YouTube CCR build videos make it look like building a unit is a complex deal. It is not. For starters, no one narrates their build. Also, it is highly unlikely that you'll have to disassmeble the entire unit to replace sorb. You'll do whatever it is necessary to take the sorb can out, replace the sorb, put the can back, run through the checklist.

Some CCRs come with different sorb can sizes. Thus, it is possible to get a large can that may have enough sorb for 2-3 dives, depending on dive profile.

I would change the sorb and then would do the whole checklist again. Theoretically should suffice with the P+/P- but doing the rest will take one minute more, so why not?

As noted, no cut and dry answer. Very dependent on a lot of variables. What was the first dive, what will be the next? What rebreather will you be using? How were you trained to do it?

In general, if you touched it in service, you will be doing a build checklist on that part.

All depends on the dives. If I’m just doing a couple of 1-1.5 hour dives at a local lake (recreational, not tech), I’m going to be using the same sorb for both dives. If I did one dive a day of the 1-1.5 hour length I’d use the same sorb for the next day. I’d open the loop up and make sure everything was dry and then do my tests again.

in-between dives on the same day -if the sorb is spent or the next dive will be pushing its limits then
i would not do a recheck of everything
if the next day -full check because id break it down in the evening anyways

Like others have stated, it depends.

I have a pre-splash and a full build checklist.

The pre-splash gets done just before every dive.

The build checklist I reference whenever I’m assembling the unit

The pre-splash items are mostly a subset of the build checklist however the pre-splash includes a flow check and a pre-breathe.

Pre-splash contains the following items (paraphrasing here):

Positive and negative
Flow check
Check O2, diluent, inflation gas pressures
Check handset and hud agree
Open needle valve and pre-breathe the unit, watching po2.

2 dives in a day I just do my pre-splash before each dive

If I’m diving the next day I’ll pop the head off to let the cells dry, and remove the scrubber and put it on the bench. I may also remove the exhale side loop and counter lung and run some water through them. When reassembling I do a positive and negative and check cell linearity at the start of each day of diving. I also check my o2, dil, and inflation gas, and the handset and hud battery voltages.

A couple days in between I may sanitize the loop and counter lungs and instead of leaving the scrubber out on the bench I’ll put it in a plastic bag.

Longer than that I’ll break down the entire unit and dry the inhale side as well.

I am comfortable reusing a scrubber for multiple days so I don’t change the scrubber unless it’s spent, or won’t be enough for the next dive, or maybe if it’s been multiple weeks between dives or something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom