Checklists in Rebreather Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ya, in the Ted McCoy 2's thing, you start with the two tank valves, then the pressure gauges, etc. Where I left off, I dove a sidemount CCR that I'd set up right before the dive and do the positive and negative tests right then. At one point, I had loop hoses that threaded into the head with collars. The first time I dove it was on a rolling boat, and I managed to misthread a loop hose in such a way that it passed my (probably lame ) + and -, and then flooded at depth. The takeaway is if you have loop hoses with threaded collars, pull in and out on the fitting after you have it screwed down to make sure it doesn't move.
What I was taught for my "mental predive checklist" is very much like Ted's 2s.

Can a mnemonic do the same aide memoir function as a checklist? This has been used forever in mathematics, "Should old Harry, catch a herring, trawling off America" (sine is opposite over hypotenuse, etc.). Used in other sports such as paragliding "Ha Ha Said The Clown" (helmet, harness, steering toggles, canopy). Used in diving too as in PADI's BWRAF (buoyancy, weights, releases, air, final check). GUE-EDGE too (long forgotten!). This proves that there are alternatives to physical checklists as long as it’s kept simple.
This x 1000!
Most people can't memorize things because we are bad at memorization regardless how hard we try. Mnemonic memorization techniques allow us to remember things in a way that resonates with our brain. Since starting CCR diving, I've become a freaking Shakespeare ;-)

First is the oxygen, fasten the DIN
Turn the green wheel and watch the gauge spin
Then bump the set point, and solenoid cries
Not once, not twice, but solid three times

You get the point.

The best part about written checklists is they don’t have to be memorized…and in fact, shouldn’t be. Rhymes and acronyms are not checklists.

• Bullseye!
Reactions: OTF
The best part about written checklists is they don’t have to be memorized…and in fact, shouldn’t be. Rhymes and acronyms are not checklists.

They're not replacements but additions. What if you lose your checklist?

They're not replacements but additions. What if you lose your checklist?
What if you lose your car keys? Still go for a drive? Checklists are useless if not used every time. The minute you don’t use the checklist and make up a riddle to remember the steps, you step down the road of deviation…and start normalizing it.

Why should a ccr diver try the valves up? Or does that mean you have to try a Poseidon ccr because there are the valves up and the unit tells you what checks you have to do. So it is a monkeyproof ccr.

This is not quite accurate. Yes, the Poseidon comes valves up but I dive mine valves down with a simple inversion kit offered by Poseidon.. I also would not call it monkeyproof. Sure, it is an eCCR and runs through the checks but you still need to be vigilant on the build and should always pay attention to the handset as it runs through those checks.

Just wanted to clear that up but I also would state that I enjoy your posts and always welcome good discussions.

The inspiration has a checklist in their computers. That sounds really great, but I have seen people who just say ok, ok, ok, ok, ok and then in the water experience that they forgot the things that are mentioned in the checklist. So the checklist in the computer is great, but divers are also human, so can be lazy.

Diving old cells is also done a lot. Oh, mines are still working is said then. And if all cells are old, you don't find the problems when calibrating most times.
So not calibrating is done quite a lot by lazy divers, but diving old cells also.

Also not analysing gas is a thing that you still see. Oxygen, why analysing, it is just oxygen. I have had a divecenter filled my oxygenbottle with pure helium. I also have had a diluent that must be a 15/55 and was an ean50. I also got ean32 in my air diluent cylinder.

Even after more than 1000 hours on ccr, I still hate it when people are talking to me when I am building my unit together. I ask them to move away for only 10 minutes. For tomorrow my unit is already ready again, only the negative test must be done.
Pure helium in the O2 cylinder would be a nightmare on a CCR if it wasn't picked up before splashing.

Rebreather divers really need an area to prep their rebreathers that is away from OC divers so as the prep can be done without any interruption or distraction.

This is not quite accurate. Yes, the Poseidon comes valves up but I dive mine valves down with a simple inversion kit offered by Poseidon.. I also would not call it monkeyproof. Sure, it is an eCCR and runs through the checks but you still need to be vigilant on the build and should always pay attention to the handset as it runs through those checks.

Just wanted to clear that up but I also would state that I enjoy your posts and always welcome good discussions.
I dive my Poseidon with cylinder valves down - I don't cave dive etc. but I much prefer my valves where I can reach them very easily.

The inbuilt Poseidon prestart checks do help take the human error element (or laziness) out of the equation. Fortunately now with the solid state cells the problems that could occur with the prestart checks and analog cells not being within the tight tolerances demanded by the automatic checks are gone - the solid state cells are fantastic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom