Checklists in Rebreather Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pure helium in the O2 cylinder would be a nightmare on a CCR if it wasn't picked up before splashing.

Rebreather divers really need an area to prep their rebreathers that is away from OC divers so as the prep can be done without any interruption or distraction.
A good reminder of the mantra: always analyse your gas as your life depends upon it. Cockups happen.

Analysing the oxygen even if you "know" it’s pure O2 gives you the opportunity to check that your analyser cell isn’t current limited.

Diluted oxygen should be detected multiple times:
  1. In the cylinder gas analysis and labelling
  2. In the closed check as you flush with oxygen (and write down the millivolts of the cells on the checklist)
  3. In the pre-breathe when you push the loop (well) over 0.7

Reactions: OTF
The best part about written checklists is they don’t have to be memorized…and in fact, shouldn’t be. Rhymes and acronyms are not checklists.
How do you handle the pre-jump checklist? Sitting on a rocking boat with stage cylinders attached in all your kit is very uncomfortable and constrained to say the least. Where is the checklist?

How do you hold a physical checklist for the final pre-jump check as you’re standing at the gate whilst the boat manoeuvres to the shot line in heavy equipment? (Applies to OC too)

Reactions: OTF
Yeah, probably nobody that bought a poseidon dives caves (other than the designer and his buddies it seems).
I certainly don't - cave diving isn't my cup of tea

I managed to get a small card printed - it sits in my wetnotes and includes all steps to be taken in a visual format - easy to be read and easy to check if you missed a step - obviously not endorsed by instructors or the manufacturer... but it works way better for me than the original one... and I included things you need to think about when setting up (such as the dive/deco plan and turnaround / go up pressure and time)

example:

1685358772452.png
1685358794517.png

I managed to get a small card printed - it sits in my wetnotes and includes all steps to be taken in a visual format - easy to be read and easy to check if you missed a step - obviously not endorsed by instructors or the manufacturer... but it works way better for me than the original one... and I included things you need to think about when setting up (such as the dive/deco plan and turnaround / go up pressure and time)

example:

View attachment 785489View attachment 785490
looks good. Do you have one in a higher resolution (to read the text)?

OT: how do you find the Horizon? Is that your first rebreather? Have you done much "technical" diving (deco, mixed gasses, etc.)?

How do you handle the pre-jump checklist? Sitting on a rocking boat with stage cylinders attached in all your kit is very uncomfortable and constrained to say the least. Where is the checklist?

How do you hold a physical checklist for the final pre-jump check as you’re standing at the gate whilst the boat manoeuvres to the shot line in heavy equipment? (Applies to OC too)
Prejump checklist is on a plastic card…run through the checklist while still seated, put it in a thigh pocket and jump. I don’t have a “final” pre jump list. I do checks when seated, then post jump on the deco line.

looks good. Do you have one in a higher resolution (to read the text)?

OT: how do you find the Horizon? Is that your first rebreather? Have you done much "technical" diving (deco, mixed gasses, etc.)?
I think its an awesome machine. It's super easy (this weekend we did a 1+hrs dive. 40min@~36m on 50 bars). I know its not a full CCR - but cost wise, and complexity wise for <40m dives this rocks. Its lightweight, simple to control and we could easily manoeuvre inside the wreck given its size. We (3 Horizon's) used S80's for the bottom gas and S40's for the deco gas - but the S80 was more to be able to have some more time if we needed (given the bailout plan).

I have a couple dozen or so dives on the machine (usually >25m with deco)... and purchased my own in January....

I'll send you the checklists separately

Yeah, probably nobody that bought a poseidon dives caves (other than the designer and his buddies it seems).
What a ********. There are not a lot, but I know at least one.

Back
Top Bottom