Certification problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So we were originally told:

Then we are shown the "agreement:"
View attachment 856104
So is it is possible that the additional €140 is for equipment rental, which was not mentioned in the "agreement?"?
Er… no.

I don’t really understand why people feel the need to try to”pick apart” the information that I have provided, or expressing options about whether I have got “got what I paid for”, or whether I am prioritising money over my son, rather than simply accepting the information I have provided and answering the question that I have asked.

Put bluntly, if you don’t have anything useful to say, don’t say anything.

Attachments

• IMG_2039.jpeg
    IMG_2039.jpeg
    13.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2040.jpeg
    IMG_2040.jpeg
    21 KB · Views: 37
The op isn't sayin' and I don't think it's relevant to his original question. It is a pretty scammy practice if it's true the dive center quoted a price for an OW course that doesn't include full eCertification upon successful completion. This would never fly here in Thailand.
I will, but not until I have got this resolved.

Er… no.

I don’t really understand why people feel the need to try to”pick apart” the information that I have provided, or expressing options about whether I have got “got what I paid for”, or whether I am prioritising money over my son, rather than simply accepting the information I have provided and answering the question that I have asked.

You keep doling out partial and conflicting information.
You are on your own, dude.

It also isn't a PADI charge. PADI does charge the instructor for the certification process; I don't know what it is there, but it cannot possibly be anywhere near that. I always included the certification charge in the course fee. At that price, the shop is taking a significant markup.

I think we paid something in that ballpark (in USD) for the 4 dives and the cards. The other option was a referral for much less. The "main" fee was classroom and pool dives, and it was all made clear to all involved when we signed up for the course.

wonder if this is due to a lost in translation error. that the original text was meant to mean that the price of materials and cert fee was not included. When I got certified, the materials were not part of the quoted/listed/advertised cost for the OW class either and that seems to be fairly commonplace practice.

D
Hi All,

I’ve just returned from a dive trip, the purpose of which was to allow my son to qualify. We attended a PADI centre.

At the end of the course we were told that we needed to pay an additional €140 for the certification, having been told at the start that certification was included in the price.

I refused to pay, expecting to be able to sort it directly with PADI.

I contacted the PADI regional office and they have said that I have to sort it with the centre.

I feel like I am being held to ransom.

Any one have any ideas (other than just paying up)?

Thanks.
Dear Sir,

Sounds like you've already paid the 140 Euro in frustration.

If training documentation has not been forwarded to PADI, it won't be long before the dive Operator loses all your son's training records.

You may want to consider paying the 140 Euros and chalk it up as ''Lesson Learned''.

It's too bad, it is a very disappointing experience, but if PADI won't help you, you have little other choice left

In my experience, vacation destination PADI dive training centers will furnish the student a temporary Certification card, a Graduation Certificate and a complete record of the students performance of each of the diver training modules. My life partner who passed away in 2019, was trained at a PADI Dive Center in the DR. I still have all of her original training records as mentioned above.

Best of luck in resolving your issues.

Regards,

Rose

Er… no.

I'm not sure if you have answered this before - is your son in fact not a PADI certified OW diver? He is not listed as such on PADI's online database. It seems like the €40 is for a hard copy of the OW workbook and I guess €110 for certification...I'm wondering if this is for a physical PADI card or actually to complete the certification paperwork by the dive center. The physical card is a nice souvenir for new divers but costs only about €50. I think the "name and shame" on social media is the best option if you get nowhere with direct communication. I don't think PADI will be much help as it works for dive centers not students (even if a center is bismerching their brand).

Back
Top Bottom