Certification problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i would contact padi again and ask to speak to someone higher up the food chain. show them the agreement you had with the shop and then explain your case.
i would be shocked if they did not at least offer to speak to the shop to try and sort out the issue.
seems pretty clear what the cost was, and to say afterwards that there are any extra fees not included in the agreement is nonsense.
hope you get it sorted out.

i would contact padi again and ask to speak to someone higher up the food chain. show them the agreement you had with the shop and then explain your case.
i would be shocked if they did not at least offer to speak to the shop to try and sort out the issue.
seems pretty clear what the cost was, and to say afterwards that there are any extra fees not included in the agreement is nonsense.
One of the lesser-known PADI standards is this, quoted from the IM, page19:
Do not withhold a certification as a means of settling personal disputes.
So, if contacting PADI, I'd call the issue a personal dispute and point to their own standards.

I wasn’t looking to argue “my case”. I was looking for practical solutions to resolve an issue, whereby my son could get his certification without being victims to extortion. The original price given was €340.
Thanks for sharing. This doesn't look to include everything. Certainly equipment rental is not on the list - but I can't see that coming to 140.

What specifically do they say the extra charge is for?

What was the name of your dive center in Egypt?
The op isn't sayin' and I don't think it's relevant to his original question. It is a pretty scammy practice if it's true the dive center quoted a price for an OW course that doesn't include full eCertification upon successful completion. This would never fly here in Thailand.

The op isn't sayin' and I don't think it's relevant to his original question. It is a pretty scammy practice if it's true the dive center quoted a price for an OW course that doesn't include full eCertification upon successful completion. This would never fly here in Thailand.
It is relevant for two reasons: it allows us to look at that website and see what it actually says, and it also alerts other potential students to at least be careful.

In Egypt they like to indicate the price of the course and the price of certification. PADI certification in Egyptian conditions, which I used several times - was 45 euros

One of the lesser-known PADI standards is this, quoted from the IM, page19:
Do not withhold a certification as a means of settling personal disputes.
So, if contacting PADI, I'd call the issue a personal dispute and point to their own standards.
A course price quote that doesn't include submitting the final paperwork to PADI for certification, but having it as a separate fee, isn't a "personal dispute." It's a scammy business practice but I've heard of dive centers breaking down different parts of courses into separate charges so they can quote cheaper prices when potential clients walk in the door.

The "agreement" appears to be a text message, not any kind of signed contract, I'm not sure how much PADI is going to go to bat for a student in this situation. PADI's customers are dive centers, not dive students.

It is relevant for two reasons: it allows us to look at that website and see what it actually says, and it also alerts other potential students to at least be careful.
It's relevant for other potential clients but not to the op's request for suggestions on how to seek redress of his situation.

It's relevant for other potential clients but not to the op's request for suggestions on how to seek redress of his situation.
We do not know what his dive center actually advertises. We have a confused version that he sent us, which is incomplete.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom