Certification problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is not PADI's issue. Your complaint is entirely with the dive center. Only if the dive center is operating illegally/unethically/not-to-standards can you bring in PADI.

With the info you have provided, it is not possible to conclude much of anything.
I agree, but that does not help me. They operate under the PADI banner and operate a system that allows the dive centre to do this.

I agree, but that does not help me. They operate under the PADI banner and operate a system that allows the dive centre to do this.
PADI sets no prices. Your beef is with the dive center.
You said you have a "documented agreement." Can you show it?
What was the total price you paid? That is, is €140 a large fraction of the total, or a minor add-on?

PADI sets no prices. Your beef is with the dive center.
You said you have a "documented agreement." Can you show it?
What was the total price you paid? That is, is €140 a large fraction of the total, or a minor add-on?
€140 isn't a minor add-on regardless of the total price.

If the quoted price for training and certification was paid by the Op, there should be zero add-ons.

The Op oughta post the contract here so us experienced divers can review it for possible misinterpretation.

Wonderful. Let's have a long digression on what "minor" means.
If the quoted price for training and certification was paid by the Op, there should be zero add-ons.

The Op oughta post the contract here so us experienced divers can review it for possible misinterpretation.
If he provides no more info, one can only conclude it is not supportive of his case.

I paid the centre for the whole course, consisting of classroom theory, pool (skills) dives, open water dives, equipment rental, manual and certification.

It was an “all inclusive” price. At the end they then asked for more for “certification”.

I understand that without the additional payment they will not submit the “paperwork “ to PADI to allow my son’s certification to be recorded and certification card to be issued.

PADI have made clear that as far as they are concerned it is nothing to do with them. However, I am unhappy that they operate a system that allows dive centres to behave this way - either I pay the extra that has been demanded, or the money I paid for the course (and my son’s time) have been wasted.
To reiterate what @tursiops said, this is not a PADI issue. PADI instructors and PADI dive shops are not PADI. PADI is just the agency they are certifying divers with.

But without seeing the paperwork for original agreement and the final bill detailing what additional charges are for, it's just your word we are relying on. Not even your word against theirs since we don't know which dive shop and haven't heard from them. Feel free to post your contract or communications here though.

The price for certification in Egypt for PADI open water certification is about $300 to $500 USD. That doesn't include equipment rental, may not include boat fees, PADI e-learning fees or extra dives required to complete the certification. And it most definitely will not include tip. And it doesn't include the physical certification card because PADI switched to electronic records. To get an actual card, you will have to contact PADI and pay about $50 USD for one.

PADI are only interested in their training syllabus being followed. How an independent dive operator runs their business isn’t of interest to them. 5 star status is based on the number of certifications they issue, not on how they support PADI.

You’ll not get anywhere with the operator, raise a complaint with the CDWS as they’re concerned about losing foreign tourists.

You’ll not get anywhere with the operator, raise a complaint with the CDWS as they’re concerned about losing foreign tourists.
This will only be worthwhile if what the OP states is verifiable and documented.

My guess, this amount is for the elearning.

The price for certification in Egypt for PADI open water certification is about $300 to $500 USD. That doesn't include equipment rental, may not include boat fees, PADI e-learning fees or extra dives required to complete the certification. And it most definitely will not include tip. And it doesn't include the physical certification card because PADI switched to electronic records. To get an actual card, you will have to contact PADI and pay about $50 USD for one.
This is kind of what I was thinking. Is the extra charge for the physical card, or to complete the certification?

One quick way to tell. I haven't logged on to PADI in a while, but the OP should be able to log in using the same credentials set up for the course materials. Does it show as certified?

It also isn't a PADI charge. PADI does charge the instructor for the certification process; I don't know what it is there, but it cannot possibly be anywhere near that. I always included the certification charge in the course fee. At that price, the shop is taking a significant markup.

The Egyptian government values the tourism industry and will respond to complaints that are documented. I would tell the dive operator that you are going to do a full court press and see how they react.

While I get the part about PADI not having a direct stake in this, the fact that someone is being ripped off by a dive operator that is offering PADI certification should be a concern. Again, social media - love it or hate it - can punch the right buttons if well executed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom