Cayman - Picture of the Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Still essentially closed for tourism - I suspect it will be late spring before they reopen and very much based on vaccination progress as they've never really had a plan beyond just staying shut until this passes that I can see! I'm trying to be hopeful but feeling more pessimistic at this point that my planned mid-April trip will be able to happen as scheduled. We'll see and I'll reschedule as required - anxious to get back to dive with my favorite dive ops and support the local economy.

Tony from @Divetech Cayman posted this link recently, the tourism association is proposing a plan for reopening Cayman:
A Safe & Measured Reopening For The Cayman Islands | Reopen Cayman

Received this yesterday from Clearly Cayman Dive Resorts:

Dear Valued Guest,

Yesterday, the Cayman Islands Government announced its plan for allowing international stayover visitors. While the announcement did not provide an exact reopening date, it is being reported that international tourism will be able to resume in March 2021.

Merry Christmas....

(Last Sunday at Lighthouse Point)

PC130583 (2)_filtered.jpg

We had a surprise visitor swim by our beach about 5 feet off shore this afternoon - quite unusual

View attachment 633932
Nice - in past years, we’ve seen several large nurse sharks in close to shore (waste deep water) on Seven Mile Beach as well and an Eagle Ray on 2 different occasions. The sharks just swam by casually, but the Eagle Rays hung around for almost 30 minutes feeding in the shallows. Very cool to see them that close in.

Nice - in past years, we’ve seen several large nurse sharks in close to shore (waste deep water) on Seven Mile Beach as well and an Eagle Ray on 2 different occasions. The sharks just swam by casually, but the Eagle Rays hung around for almost 30 minutes feeding in the shallows. Very cool to see them that close in.

This was also on SMB, but was a black tip (one dorsal fin vs 2 for nurse shark and tipped black, which you can't really see in the photo), which we don't see much. Drew quite a crowd following it along on the beach plus a few boats.

This was also on SMB, but was a black tip (one dorsal fin vs 2 for nurse shark and tipped black, which you can't really see in the photo), which we don't see much. Drew quite a crowd following it along on the beach plus a few boats.

An update: So when we first saw the shark go by there was a debate on shore as to whether it was a reef or black tip, plus I talked to a couple of DMs who saw it as well. The black tip side won. But better pictures that have come out seem to show it was a reef shark. Either way it was pretty cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom