Trip Report Cayman Aggressor V, November 24-December 1, 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice report! Price wise....worth the boat compared to using land based RD on the sister islands?

Nice report! Price wise....worth the boat compared to using land based RD on the sister islands?
I'm glad I've done both now :)

I got a tremendous deal on my Cayman Aggressor V trip, 35% off. Only significant additional expenses were flights for Grand Cayman and crew tip. Got an average of 4 dives per day. I was solo, shared my room but no extra single supplement.

I went to Cayman Brac by myself October 2017. I got a good deal but did have to pay a very reasonable single supplement Cayman Brac Beach Resort/Reef Divers Oct 23-30, 2017 Add the cost of flights from Grand Cayman to Little Cayman. Average of 3 dives per day. More flexibility in visiting a variety of dive sites.

Of course, if you are traveling with another person, the considerations of being a single do not apply.

Either way, a great trip

Thanks for that excellent report, Craig and the pics of the boat were really helpful to get a sense of the layout and feel of it.

I'm glad I've done both now :)

I got a tremendous deal on my Cayman Aggressor V trip, 35% off. Only significant additional expenses were flights for Grand Cayman and crew tip. Got an average of 4 dives per day. I was solo, shared my room but no extra single supplement.

I went to Cayman Brac by myself October 2017. I got a good deal but did have to pay a very reasonable single supplement Cayman Brac Beach Resort/Reef Divers Oct 23-30, 2017 Add the cost of flights from Grand Cayman to Little Cayman. Average of 3 dives per day. More flexibility in visiting a variety of dive sites.

Of course, if you are traveling with another person, the considerations of being a single do not apply.

Either way, a great trip

IMO it really depends on what you are looking for in a vacation and how you calculate the costs vs. value of the trip. If you get a good deal on the Aggressor and you want to "dive, dive, dive" and you value a vacation as "cost per dive" then it will probably be a good value; because you can get 4-5 dives per day on the Aggressor, while booking 4 land-based boat dives per day can get pricey in the Caymans.

Most folks go for 2 or 3 land-based boat dives per day in Cayman and may look for shore diving opportunities if they want more diving. Shore diving has long been an economical way to increase your number of good dives on Grand Cayman, and I am hearing that shore diving is also gaining some popularity on the Sister Islands.

If you are looking for a place that is great to visit with non-diving companions, and that offers a wide range of amenities and attractions and great restaurants, as well as good diving, then Grand Cayman is your best choice. And if you like seeing sharks then the East End of GC might work for you, but it is rather distant from the other attractions on the island.

If you are want a quiet, rural place with stunning natural beauty both above and below water, then Cayman Brac might be your choice. And if you want some of the best diving in the Caribbean, with both shallow and deep diving options, then Little Cayman is your place.

I like that Cayman offers a variety of choices to meet the preferences of many folks. It is a pricey destination but there are options and price ranges - and I've said this before - but sometimes you get what you pay for!

My overall favorite vacation in the Caymans is Compass Point and Ocean Frontiers on the east end of Grand Cayman. The packages include AM 2 tank, they offer a PM 2 tank each day in addition to a couple of night dives and some specialty dives. All condos have full kitchen. Packages include car and breakfast.

I agree, but for my gastrointestinal delight, I prefer Cozumel :p. I also like the diving more than the Caymans and it’s much easier to get to...but I’m also not trying to pit one against another....they both offer value in their own ways...and I do hit up both frequently.

Oh I much prefer the variety of food on Grand Cayman! There is only so much Mexican food I want to eat on vacation. It's not cheap on Cayman, though!

Cozumel is a wholly different diving experience - hard to compare - because it's all drift diving there and you have to stay with the group. I found photography to be a real challenge, there, because you were fighting with the current just to get a shot framed semi-properly. I like the fact that on Grand Cayman you can do your own thing and don't have to stay with the group, and it's far easier to get good photos.

Oh I much prefer the variety of food on Grand Cayman! There is only so much Mexican food I want to eat on vacation. It's not cheap on Cayman, though!

Cozumel is a wholly different diving experience - hard to compare - because it's all drift diving there and you have to stay with the group. I found photography to be a real challenge, there, because you were fighting with the current just to get a shot framed semi-properly. I like the fact that on Grand Cayman you can do your own thing and don't have to stay with the group, and it's far easier to get good photos.
I will agree with you that they are wholly different dive experiences and agree on the underwater photography, it can be challenging in Cozumel at certain dive sites with the currents, although some of my very best photos have been taken there of Spotted Eagle Rays, Turtles, various sharks, etc. -- all of which I have had very little to no success with in Grand Cayman. But, food diversity in Cozumel is much better than most people realize. The local Mexican food is epic and one of the things that I love about being there. My wife of 35 years is Mexican and I eat Mexican food constantly, yet I love what Cozumel has to offer in terms of Mexican food. Also, some of the best Indian food I have ever had in the world has been in Cozumel, as recently as last week. And I have lived in India, Singapore, Malaysia and Fiji (all significant Indian populations) and as much as I like the Indian food at Sunset House and My Bar-- it doesn't compare. There is also outstanding Italian food in Cozumel and the seafood options are way better in Cozumel than Grand Cayman. Additionally, Cozumel is a major international cruise port with over 3 million visitors a year- there are numerous international fare restaurants and steak houses. I enjoy both places for various reasons- but food, cost of food, amount of food options and variety of food on Cozumel is pretty amazing.

In spite of currents, I have managed a few good photos over the years.

upload_2019-1-3_16-17-1.png

upload_2019-1-3_16-18-52.png

upload_2019-1-3_16-26-7.png

upload_2019-1-3_16-26-35.png

But, food diversity in Cozumel is much better than most people realize.

You just jogged my memory about something; on ScubaBoard, how many threads are there about places to eat in Cozumel? Threads with lots of posts. And does any other dive destination come near matching Cozumel in terms of where-to-eat posts? I'm not just talking the Cayman Islands, anywhere ScubaBoard discusses?

I'm not jumping to the conclusion Cozumel has the best dining on Earth, just suggesting where there's smoke, there's fire...

Richard.

You just jogged my memory about something; on ScubaBoard, how many threads are there about places to eat in Cozumel? Threads with lots of posts. And does any other dive destination come near matching Cozumel in terms of where-to-eat posts? I'm not just talking the Cayman Islands, anywhere ScubaBoard discusses?

I'm not jumping to the conclusion Cozumel has the best dining on Earth, just suggesting where there's smoke, there's fire...

Richard.
You are correct @drrich2 - probably no other location lauds its food and restaurant options like Cozumel. That being said, probably 99% of them extol the virtues of Mexican food and killer liquor/margarita options. All of which is absolutely true and correct. I thought I'd make a case for the diversity of ethnic food options that I perceived was being disparaged in a comparison to Grand Cayman food options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom