Caymans Trip Report (with photos link)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mixing Bowl and Three Fathom Wall
Thanks for clarifying that. I had the feeling that when we dived the 3 Fathoms from the Aggressor, we were a bit further east as compared to the later dive towards Marilyn's Cut. It might have been just the conditions at the time but I found the latter dive a lot easier.

Actually, I felt that I had a much better dive over 3 Fathoms than many of my boatmates who seem to be struggling against the current and ended the dive earlier than expected. The current was certainly on the stronger side but I coped by using the many crevasses and nooks as partial shelter. There was a lot of marine life in those spots, expecially the large semilunar 'scoop' at the eastern part. This was where I saw 2 good sized sharks and a lot of other fish.

I forgot to mention that those are great shots of the dorsal tagged Reef sharks.
Mixing Bowl is one of my favorite north side sites, not because of the wall there, but because of the rubble field which lies to the east. This area which looks like a moonscape is actually teeming with life. Anyone who cannot see dozens of Yellow Headed Jawfish and many other creatures, large and small, there needs a prescription mask LOL. I often (if I have a cooperative buddy) head for this area directly from the Mixing Bowl mooring. I then work my way inshore toward the mini-wall near a site called Anne's Attic, and then back around to the Mixing Bowl pin.

Yeah, that tagged shark has been hanging around that area for at least a couple of years now. I have photos of him from our 2012 trip. Thanks for the report and "wow!" on the great photos!

I wonder why they do not do the same shark fin tagging in the Far East? I have heard that illegal shark finning for the Chinese market is rife there but none of the Dive Centre owners, even the Western ones, want to talk about it. I found this particularly true in Phuket.

I wonder why they do not do the same shark fin tagging in the Far East? I have heard that illegal shark finning for the Chinese market is rife there but none of the Dive Centre owners, even the Western ones, want to talk about it. I found this particularly true in Phuket.

In order to tag a shark in that manner, one has to catch the shark on H&L. Examinations, measurements are done quickly so as not to injure the shark, and he is returned to the water. In much of the far east, when a shark is caught, he has his fins removed and is thrown back to die. Considering the worldwide opinion of shark finning, it is no wonder few people want to talk about it and risk increasing the negative press exposure.

At one time finning was legally done in the Keys (the area with which I am most familiar) as well. Then the law was changed requiring that the sharks had to be taken ashore before the fins were removed. At least most sharks died during transport. Since most sharks have no commercial food value, the carcasses were hauled back out and dumped at sea. Now that the laws have again been changed with many species totally protected, commercial shark fishing has really declined. Stingray spearing (stingrays are primo shark bait) has also declined. Very, very few people, unless they were personally involved, or knew someone who was personally involved know anything about this. At least, here in the west, something has actually been done to stop finning, but in the far east, not so much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom