Cayman - Picture of the Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were hunting lionfish at Caribbean Club and then Lone Star Reef - very close to each other - and she followed us from the first to the second site hoping to get a mouthful of whatever was in those canisters....
P9200464.jpg

In the better to be lucky category
. Once upon a dive, a few years ago,during a day dive, I was with my buddy headed back to the shore at Cobalt Coast after a lengthy shallow excursion.. As we neared the dock ladder, my buddy signaled to me that there was an octopus out and about. I thought great, low on air, buoyancy being tested, low tank and all, but hey going for it and started hitting the shutter button. All of a sudden, the buddy frantically waving arms, here comes another octopus.This proved not to be a casual date, but an all out struggle as we watched one launch itself onto the other and proceed to drag it for yards across the reef. No deep breaths to be had, shallow sips, hitting the shutter button as fast as it would allow, screaming focus, focus,focus, into my reg, struggling to stay down, all the time avoiding the multiple sea urchins gathered in that area. It ended with the two octopus, tucking into dens within a foot of one another, staring me down. HUH? What did we just witness? Mating ritual? To me it seemed as though, the 2nd saw me as a threat, and decided to protect or claim it's mate and get her safely back to the den. Definitely one of those most memorable dives.

OctoPlay-5316.JPG

OctoPlay-5317.JPG

In the better to be lucky category
. Once upon a dive, a few years ago,during a day dive, I was with my buddy headed back to the shore at Cobalt Coast after a lengthy shallow excursion.. As we neared the dock ladder, my buddy signaled to me that there was an octopus out and about. I thought great, low on air, buoyancy being tested, low tank and all, but hey going for it and started hitting the shutter button. All of a sudden, the buddy frantically waving arms, here comes another octopus.This proved not to be a casual date, but an all out struggle as we watched one launch itself onto the other and proceed to drag it for yards across the reef. No deep breaths to be had, shallow sips, hitting the shutter button as fast as it would allow, screaming focus, focus,focus, into my reg, struggling to stay down, all the time avoiding the multiple sea urchins gathered in that area. It ended with the two octopus, tucking into dens within a foot of one another, staring me down. HUH? What did we just witness? Mating ritual? To me it seemed as though, the 2nd saw me as a threat, and decided to protect or claim it's mate and get her safely back to the den. Definitely one of those most memorable dives.

Fantastic shots!

Luck provides the opportunity, but skill delivers the results.

Hello. The Photobucket banners take soooo much away from the shot.:(
Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom