Cave of the sleeping sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hola cvChief, Dave refreshed my memory and told me about you, It will be my pleasure to take you out to the east side the first good opportunity we have.

when are you going to be here in coz?

saludos,

Memo

---------- Post added February 1st, 2014 at 03:07 PM ----------

Gracias! I will do that

Hola David,

I have been taking it easy and have not been very regular at the surface intervals, I hired Almendra as a Manager, I even have time now to log in at scuba board.

My plans are to explore much more dive sites , go to the surface intervals which I love to see all of my friends, etc......

life is good!!!

see you next time, do you know when?

saludos,

Memo

Hola Mike, thank you for the welcome.

I´m struggling on uploading my profile picture, it shows on my profile but not on my posting.
i asked pelagicsal and she told me that probably after 5 or more posting I will be able to upload pictures.

do you know something about it?

saludos
If you want a pic to show on your postings, you need to upload one as an Avatar.

Hola cvChief, Dave refreshed my memory and told me about you, It will be my pleasure to take you out to the east side the first good opportunity we have.

when are you going to be here in coz?

saludos,

Memo

Thanks Memo!! Ill be down for Carnival. Scubaboard dinner on the 2/26 at El Moro. There will be cake.

I think is not a silky shark is a carribbean reef shark

look what I found on [h=2]Biology and ecology[edit][/h]
260px-Carcharhinus_perezi_bahamas.jpg

A Caribbean reef shark cruising over a coral reef in the Bahamas.​

Despite its abundance in certain areas, the Caribbean reef shark is one of the least-studied large requiem sharks. They are believed to play a major role in shaping Caribbean reef communities. These sharks are more active at night, with no evidence of seasonal changes in activity or migration. Juveniles tend to remain in a localized area throughout the year, while adults range over a wider area.[7]
Caribbean reef sharks are sometimes seen resting motionless on the sea floor or inside caves; it is the first active shark species in which such a behavior was reported. In 1975, Eugenie Clark investigated the famed "sleeping sharks" inside the caves at Isla Mujeres off the Yucatan Peninsula, and determined that the sharks were not actually asleep as their eyes would follow divers. Clark speculated that freshwater upwellings inside the caves might loosen parasites on the sharks and produce an enjoyable "narcotic" effect.[8] If threatened, Caribbean reef sharks sometimes perform a threat display, in which they swim in a short, jerky fashion with frequent changes in direction and repeated, brief (1–1.2 second duration) drops of the pectoral fins. This display is less pronounced than the better-known display of the grey reef shark (C. amblyrhynchos).[8][9]
Juvenile Caribbean reef sharks are preyed upon by larger sharks such as the tiger shark (Galeocerdo cuvier) and the bull shark(C. leucas). Few parasites are known for this species; one is a dark variegated leech often seen trailing from its first dorsal fin.[4]Off northern Brazil, juveniles seek out cleaning stations occupied by yellownose gobies (Elacatinus randalli), which clean the sharks of parasites while they lie still on the bottom.[10] Horse-eye jacks (Caranx latus) and bar jacks (Carangoides ruber) routinely school around Caribbean reef sharks.[11]

;

Back
Top Bottom