Cave of the sleeping sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I guess there is a steady current there, which the sharks enjoy so they don't have to keep moving to flush their gills as some species do? It's interesting how some congregate at certain stations, for cleaning or whatever reasons. I'll be looking forward to more info...?
Another reason why this is a Caribbean Reef Shark. Silkies stay on the move.

" They have been documented resting motionless on the sea bottom or inside caves, unusual behavior for an active-swimming shark. "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean_reef_shark

Were there any other sharks in their napping? Is it the cave of the sleeping sharks or cave of the sleeping shark?

Multiple Sharks, with one circling outside waiting to get past the divers.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

We have been asked by the Mexican Scientific community, and the National Park (even though it is outside their territory), to aid the investigation of this rare location. We will of course do so. In the short term we have been asked to NOT run commercial trips, obviously to avoid disrupting their study. However, I don't see that lasting moire than a week or two. The local Paper "Por Esto" ran a large article on this today.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

There is also a Cave of the Sleeping Sharks in Isla -- on the far side of the island. To find it, you line up the big tree, church, and something else. It's interesting to see all those sharks resting on the bottom, snoozing. However, if I had recognized the bull shark, I probably would have gone through faster.

Would love to hear more as you find out about these sharks!

From what I understand the sleeping sharks of Isla Mujeres disappeared long ago, perhaps from too frequent visits from divers? We will have to be careful in how we go about trips there. I think one thing is that there will 'peeks" into the cave but no entry. We will be working that out in the next few weeks.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

From what I understand the sleeping sharks of Isla Mujeres disappeared long ago, perhaps from too frequent visits from divers?
Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

That's been my experience and it's basically just a tourist trap dive still living off it's old reputation that is long gone.

---------- Post added January 27th, 2014 at 02:37 PM ----------

very nice

From what I understand the sleeping sharks of Isla Mujeres disappeared long ago, perhaps from too frequent visits from divers? We will have to be careful in how we go about trips there. I think one thing is that there will 'peeks" into the cave but no entry. We will be working that out in the next few weeks.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers
No worries there. The last place I want to go is into a cave with a bunch of sharks. I am fine with looking in from the outside.

Yet isn't this outside of the marine park and therefore unregulated? Short of manning your own armed patrols, how will you keep people like me from renting their own boats, diving down to the sleeping shark cave, and taking obnoxious selfies with the sharks wearing silly hats?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom