Cave of the sleeping sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is best to let us know your desire to do so. On coming to the island drop by the Aldora Office and mention it. Please note that like Barracuda, no responsible dive shop should take you there until they have seen your comfort and skill level in the water. Any shop that did so would be viciously flamed on this board.

That especially holds true for the Shark Caves and at least one dive with Aldora would be needed before we consider taking anyone up there. If you are already diving with Aldora that would be no problem.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Thanks for the info, Dave. The four of us dove the east side in November with Aldora. We'll be staying and diving with The Blue Angel but would love to dive with Aldora for the Shark Caves. I have a couple more questions so I'll just PM you. Thanks!

Sounds like your group is set, islanddream!

:luxhello: I am looking for a group who needs one more... I am vetted with Aldora, so that's not an issue... :grinbandit:

Sounds like your group is set, islanddream!

:luxhello: I am looking for a group who needs one more... I am vetted with Aldora, so that's not an issue... :grinbandit:[/QUOTE

Pick Me!!!
If that does not happen then perhaps we can get a group together the week of May 10th - 17th Chief you in? Or any Aldora divers that week?
Hey Sal we can make that happen!
Ken

Thanks, Ken! Todd will be in town those dates, too. Sent him a message earlier today asking if he was interested, so we might be three in very short order!

Will let you know what I hear...

Hi Sallye! My Suzi and I be in town from the 26th through the 3rd. At the Villa the last 3 nights, and likely diving most mornings. Not to thread-jack, or dive-jack, but hope we can dive, grab dinner, or even peep sleepy reef sharks while we're there. Maybe an express afternoon hunt!?

-Jason

Hola Jason! That ALL sounds good to me!
Always up for an afternoon hunt... Or pretty much any of the rest of those hopes. :)

Let's get in touch when you get this way, and we will stir up some mischief.
Thanks for shouting. See you next week!

So I finally had a chance to go on this trip. Me, Pelagicsal and some other friends went on April 25th. We had 3 really nice dives. We only saw one sleeping shark but he was approximately 8-10ft in length I would guess. Very unique dive sites and we had some really good lionfish hunting. The dives are deeper (1st dive 110fsw, 2nd dive 105fsw and 3rd dive 85fsw) so usage of nitrox definitely required for those profiles.

I hope to do some more exploration style dives soon. The way Aldora is running these trips is extremely professional and safety oriented. Due to it's remote location and possibility of very strong currents. All divers were provided with a Nautilus Lifeline GPS and a thorough briefing on how to use it to radio the boat, what channel to be on and how to use it as an emergency beacon. There are literally no boats in that area if you get separated from the group.

Every diver had an SMB/reel (one provided to you if you didn't have your own) and had to be proficient in it's usage, reef hooks were also provided in the event the current was too strong.

A dive flag was actually towed for the entire dives so that the boat could keep track of us, as opposed to relying solely on watching bubbles which could prove to be very difficult to do with the amount of waves at the surface.

In all, a very fun trip. Hope to do it again soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom