Cave of the sleeping sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beautiful video of the Caribbean reef sharks. You wouldn't consider taking out a large very advanced diver, or are you worried I'd get stuck in the cave?

Sorry I meant small groups,

Saludos Cordiales;

Memo Mendoza

Good news. I thought I might have to go on a radical diet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your are correct in that the cave off Isla Mujeres no longer attracts sharks the way it once did, but not because of frequent visits by divers. The cave partially collapsed during Hurricane Wilma in 2005 and it is speculated that it no longer traps the fresh water that lulled these sharks to sleep.

Dear Ya'll,

I would like to correct a misperception about the "sleeping sharks". The reality is that we have now discovered them in 4 separate caves, way to the north of Cozumel, all in the same general vicinity. That they do so in fresh water springs is not even close to possible for two reasons. One is that the caves they "sleep" in are wide open and the mixture with salt water would be too severe to make any difference in salinity.

The other reason is that these sites are way past the north end of Cozumel, out in open ocean by at least 10 miles and the possibility of fresh water springs from any land mass are not plausible. We did take a Mexican UW biologist out there and her theory is that the sharks have learned to "gulp" water through their gills, at least enough to support their metabolic needs in a catatonic state. Why they sleep? I don't know, but why do we sleep—few really know that either.

Please have a look at www. youtube.com/ La Siesta del Tiburon 3. There you will see the technique they use to keep their gills aerated.

For the record, we can only go there when sea conditions are mild (not today) but tomorrow looks promising and we will probably take out 4 lucky divers in the morning.

Dave

This is cool Dave. I've seen "sleeping" white tips off of Rarotonga, never more than two though and most often only one per "hidey" hole.

Dang. Still itching to go.

Dear Sal,

I am really sorry that you are not going out today. What happens is that we have to wait for weather forecasts with small seas and moderate winds, and sometimes they pop up unexpectedly. In addition, we do have to have 4 very good divers maximum, and trying to arrange that yesterday in a rush was a bit difficult. How about getting a group of 4 ( we have to know of their skills) and let the shop know you are ready to go. That would make it much easier for us to get you out there.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS Tomorrow and Sunday look promising as well

Last edited:
Hi Dave:

We'll be in Coz June 25 - July 4 and four of us are interested in doing the caves. Is it possible to pre-book a one day trip to the caves in June? I understand that the trip is "weather permitting" but is it better to book now just in case?

Thanks!

islanddream

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom