Cave 1 / Intro Expiration & Limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alright well with all the trepidation apparent lack of respect for the basic cave cert I’m now considering just going for full cave in one shot on my next 2 week + vacation to the Yucatán or something.

Currently cavern certified with 68 dives so I wouldn’t say I’m a “zero” but certainly full cave would be going for “hero”.

I want to learn whatever is required to safely go to 1/3 of my doubles along the mainline. No deco, no jumps or other weird navigations. Just in and out along the mainline.

Needs to be said that doing Intro in Florida, hitting NDL on 6ths was a real issue for me. On 3rds I would say it's almost a given. Wasn't even a thought in Mexico.

Alright well with all the trepidation apparent lack of respect for the basic cave cert I’m now considering just going for full cave in one shot on my next 2 week + vacation to the Yucatán or something.
Currently cavern certified with 68 dives so I wouldn’t say I’m a “zero” but certainly full cave would be going for “hero”.
Where are you seeing "lack of respect for the basic cave cert"? What people are telling you is your ideal dive doesn't fit those limits - that doesn't mean you should skip the training and experience level because it doesn't give you what you want. There are very good reasons the training levels have the limits they do.

Also, why are you trying to achieve your end goal in cave diving in one shot? There's a lot to see and tons of experience to be gained in the first few hundred feet of the cave. Trust me, you're not going to get bored for a while. If you think you've seen it all in a few dives, you need to go slower and look around more instead of trying to get to a certain distance on the mainline.

I would say unless you have exceptional skills, this is a very bad choice. Regardless of having a cavern cert, many still consider this zero to hero. Do cave 1, dive for a year or two, then do cave 2.
My wife actually corrected me on a statement I made in another thread yesterday. We did cavern, took about a year to move to cave 1. I said we did cave 2 a year after cave 1. Apparently I was wrong. It was 2 years and 7 months later. We did a ton of cave 1 dives. We dove all over florida, all over Mexico, and even a trip to the Lot in France to dive their amazing caves. We stayed on mainlines for a long time until we knew the caves, then started making jumps. Once we felt navigational skills and all cave 1 skills were as perfect as they could get, we moved on. We did some awesome dives on a cave 1 cert. It felt like only a year, but apparently was way longer.

I would say unless you have exceptional skills, this is a very bad choice. Regardless of having a cavern cert, many still consider this zero to hero. Do cave 1, dive for a year or two, then do cave 2.

But many here are saying that Cave 2 is required to even do Cave 1 dives safely. I.e. staying on mainline to thirds, which is a cave one dive for some agencies and all I want to do.

I didnt see any disrespect, just some reality about intro etc being...well intro. Getting mad about being blunt on basic limits and needing more experience before doing things that MIGHT be possible is like getting mad about deep diving in a rec setting, or pushing to and beyond the limits for an AN/DP diver.

They didnt say they wouldn't dive with an intro diver, they said they wouldn't dive with them pushing their limits.

By lack of respect I mean lots of people here think Cave 1 doesn’t qualify you to stay on the mainline to thirds, which is what myself and some others are calling a basic cave dive, what some agencies limit cave 1 divers to (and probably how many Cave 1 divers dive).

By lack of respect I don’t mean anger or insults I just mean that people don’t think cave 1 qualifies one to do a mainline dive to thirds, which some agencies claim it does.

By lack of respect I mean lots of people here think Cave 1 doesn’t qualify you to stay on the mainline to thirds, which is what myself and some others are calling a basic cave dive, what some agencies limit cave 1 divers to (and probably how many Cave 1 divers dive).

They said they dont feel that pushing that far is safe, and that they would not do the dives with someone. They actually gave justification for why pushing THAT far as an intro diver is a bad idea.

Getting testy with them isn't going to help, it just sparks a new and bigger e-contest. Learned a long time ago it's better to keep it to yourself sometime, if you dont want their opinion, inwouldnt solicit it. If you do want their opinions, dont immediately argue with them, but present your counter position in a less confrontational way. You're dealing with a group of people whom are very technically skilled in what they do.... some of them ARE the subject matter experts. People like that tend not to take a confrontational tone lightly, and will growl back when they're growled at.

Tone down the rhetoric, stop taking offense, and relax.

Peace y’all ✌️

I’m truly humbled by the feedback and promise not to break rules. I’m torn between seeking NSS / NAUI Cave 1 and diving mainline to thirds, or getting full cave first. I’m guessing many here would like me to get 100 dives to sixths before my first dive to thirds. Feedback taken and will consider. Maybe I just need bigger tanks :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom