Caught between PADI and an Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tangfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I completed an Enriched Air Nitrox course in Cozumel one month ago. I sent in my PIC card a week later and just today received an email from PADI saying that they 'could not send me my certification card because my instructor was on Alert status for failing to cooperate on a Quality Management Inquiry'. Now I've spent the time and money on doing the course but due to some sort of dispute between PADI and the instructor I'm out of luck. Even in the event that the dive shop is willing to reimburse me for the course fees, I really don't feel like going through the course all over again with another instructor. I read the book, did all the reviews, watched the videos, sat through the lecture, worked problems and only missed one question on the exam. I also did my 2 certification dives using Nitrox. I think its plainly obvious that I did everything right, it just sucks being a pawn in whatever battle is going on with this instructor and PADI. Any advice on what to do from here?

Well that is a bummer and I'd be anoyed too! I think you should demand that the dive shop does whatever is required to get you certified for free. Failing this then a complete refund. Atleast you'll get double training for no extra charge.

funkyspelunker:
I completed an Enriched Air Nitrox course in Cozumel one month ago. I sent in my PIC card a week later and just today received an email from PADI saying that they 'could not send me my certification card because my instructor was on Alert status for failing to cooperate on a Quality Management Inquiry'. Now I've spent the time and money on doing the course but due to some sort of dispute between PADI and the instructor I'm out of luck.

It's not just a dispute between the instructor and PADI. They've placed the instructor in non-teaching status for failing to do what he agreed to do as a condition of being a instructor. If he doesn't streighten it out they'll give him the boot completely.
Even in the event that the dive shop is willing to reimburse me for the course fees, I really don't feel like going through the course all over again with another instructor. I read the book, did all the reviews, watched the videos, sat through the lecture, worked problems and only missed one question on the exam. I also did my 2 certification dives using Nitrox. I think its plainly obvious that I did everything right,...
Yes but you did it all with some one who isn't supposed to be teaching
it just sucks being a pawn in whatever battle is going on with this instructor and PADI. Any advice on what to do from here?

I understand your frustration but you're not so much a pawn as a victem. You were sold a PADI class by some one who isn't authorized to sell them. All you can do is try to get your money back from the shop. I don't know what you do if they don't want to give it back though. Does Mexico have a small claims court?

PADI is very strict about its standards as a US organization the word "sue" is part of their awareness. More importantly they try maintain the standards for all of their instructors and students world wide. In your case if an Instructor is not "Active" they cannot teach. I will try and get you more information on this direct from PADI.

If you have to retake it do a TDI course as this is classroom only and cheaper. You will have no trouble as you know all the thoery anyway.
Sorry if you are saving up for the PADI badge collectors' badge though..

Chris

funkyspelunker:
I completed an Enriched Air Nitrox course in Cozumel one month ago. I sent in my PIC card a week later and just today received an email from PADI saying that they 'could not send me my certification card because my instructor was on Alert status for failing to cooperate on a Quality Management Inquiry'. Now I've spent the time and money on doing the course but due to some sort of dispute between PADI and the instructor I'm out of luck. Even in the event that the dive shop is willing to reimburse me for the course fees, I really don't feel like going through the course all over again with another instructor. I read the book, did all the reviews, watched the videos, sat through the lecture, worked problems and only missed one question on the exam. I also did my 2 certification dives using Nitrox. I think its plainly obvious that I did everything right, it just sucks being a pawn in whatever battle is going on with this instructor and PADI. Any advice on what to do from here?

I would phone PADI's customer services and ask them what your options are. Maybe they can get the shop to write you a referral and send you your dossier so you can avoid redoing the theory part and just have it double checked instead. They'll probably say no but it's the best shot you have.

You were lucky it's not your DM course......

As for the instructor........well, he swindled you, basically. I would demand a refund from the shop but if they refuse then I would personally write it off and move on. Think of it as an investment in blood-pressure management. You can put a lot of time effort and money into officially saying you were swindled or you can just feel screwed and angry for a while then go have a beer with some friends and get over it.

If you're still in Mexico you could take it to the police and get them to press the shop and split the difference with the cops.... :wink: That might be worth doing for the amusement value alone. LOL

And I would recommend posting the name of the instructor here so other people can avoid being swindled too.

R..

When you contact the shop and instructor, realize that you only have limited information. PADI occasionally has a hair trigger, and you may be seeing the unfortuante effects of this.

I know nothing about the situation the poster referenced, but this hypothetical example shows how things can blow out of hand.

In the most innocuous example, Joe the instructor has a student panic during an Open Water referral dive. The student bolted to the surface, and later complained of numbness and tingling in a shoulder. Joe administers first aid, places the student on oxygen, and alerts EMS for transport to a hospital for treatment. Joe then writes out an incident report and faxes it to PADI.

PADI opens a file, and then mails a letter to request copies of the liability waiver and training records for this student. The letter demands a reply within 2 weeks or else PADI will place the instructor in suspended status. The international mail being particularly slow, Joe doesn't receive the letter for 4 weeks. For two weeks he has been in a Suspended status and didn't even know it.

It gets worse.

Joe gets PADI's letter, and photocopies the file and mails it to PADI the next day. International mail can be really slow.

When PADI hasn't received a reply to their first letter in 2 weeks, they placed the instructor in Suspended status and send out a letter to inform him. Two more weeks pass and they send another letter threatening a Quality Assurance action. They mail this letter the day Joe gets their first letter requesting the file.

Two more weeks pass, and PADI still hasn't received a reply from their first letter. They mail out yet another letter that a Quality Assurance action is to be taken and the instructor must sign a teaching agreement to regain teaching status. Two days later PADI receives the documents they requested in the first letter.

Joe starts to get increasingly dire letters from PADI. He doesn't worry because he sent out the requested documents as soon as he got the first letter. He teaches a course or two and submits the PICs according to procedures.

Even though PADI has all of the documents they requested in their first file, they have not received the teaching agreement from Joe. They stop processing PICs for Joe's students.

Some variation of this has happened so often that it is frustrating. PADI sometimes mails critical paperwork requesting an action, and then proceeds to take an undesirable action before you ever receive their letter.

We hire a lot of instructors from the UK. Usually they are set up with the Bristol, England office as their home office to process their paperwork. When we hire them, we notify PADI to change their home office permanently to the California office.

In about half the cases PADI sets up a Service office arrangement (temporary six month arrangement) instead. When six months have passed, PADI mails a letter saying that they are terminating the Service Office arrangement and switching the instructor back to the Bristol office. The first notice we get is when we suddenly cannot process PICs for that instructor using the PIC online web based processing. The letter arrives in the mail 6-8 weeks later.

funkyspelunker:

Tell them what happened and see what they are willing to do for you.

If you were near my area, i would try to work something out with you. I'd probably ask you to take the test, show proficency in EAN procedures, do the two dives with me and pay for the PIC only.

Considering your circumstances, i would not make you take and/or pay for the whole course if you did well enough. I bet if you looked a little you could find an instructor in your area to help you out in a similar way.

Good luck and sorry you got hosed. Most instructors are not scumbags like this person.

Drew Sailbum:
When you contact the shop and instructor, realize that you only have limited information. PADI occasionally has a hair trigger, and you may be seeing the unfortuante effects of this.

I know nothing about the situation the poster referenced, but this hypothetical example shows how things can blow out of hand.

In the most innocuous example, Joe the instructor has a student panic during an Open Water referral dive. The student bolted to the surface, and later complained of numbness and tingling in a shoulder. <snip>

Joe should learn what a telephone does.

R..

Diver0001:
Joe should learn what a telephone does.

R..
Point being, things can spin out of control before you even know anything has happened. Unless you happen to fax them everything they could possibly want the first time, trouble well may follow.

This seems to reflect a systemic problem. It would get much better if PADI also sent a fax and/or email as soon as they mail out such a letter which demands a reply or specific action.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom