Caught between PADI and an Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drew Sailbum:
Why is it only the instructor's responsibilty to fax or email promptly? Why isn't it reasonable to reply with the same sense of urgency that a request was made?

Frankly, it's the Instructor's responsibility to follow-up. I have found in most cases that if you fax, phone or email PADI & leave them these various methods of communication by which to contact you, that they will respond in a timely manner & in kind.

I'm currently waiting on a letter from Vancouver, BC which was mailed April 15. I'm not holding my breath.

Drew, that's not PADI, that's Canada Post! I have sent things from here in GA to my sister in the Toronto area & it gets there in about 4 working days. Meanwhile, my friend mailed a birthday card to me from TO and it didn't arrive for 3 weeks.

Ah, The Great White North, eh?! :wink:

I know of an instructor that received a minor QA inquiry just last week based on a random student questionaire.

He received the QA inquiry from PADI via email and the shop involved also got an email copy. PADI advised the instructor that hard copy was also mailed.

The instructor responded via fax and email and by the end of the day PADI responded to both the instructor and shop via email that all was satisfactory and the inquiry resolved.

funkyspelunker:
Even in the event that the dive shop is willing to reimburse me for the course fees, I really don't feel like going through the course all over again with another instructor. I read the book, did all the reviews, watched the videos, sat through the lecture, worked problems and only missed one question on the exam. I also did my 2 certification dives using Nitrox.

Was it really torture? Would a little extra drilling and learning be a bad thing? You should be able to breeze through it. Take a good novel to the lectures, and have it handy during the video. The reviews and exam should be a cakewalk, provided you really retained what you learned. As long as you get your money back, the least of your problems are the time and effort invested in a PADI course.
PADI bends over backwards to make sure those are minimal.
Sitting through their course twice is about the same time and effort as most other agencies' course once.

dweeb:
Was it really torture? Would a little extra drilling and learning be a bad thing? You should be able to breeze through it. Take a good novel to the lectures, and have it handy during the video. The reviews and exam should be a cakewalk, provided you really retained what you learned. As long as you get your money back, the least of your problems are the time and effort invested in a PADI course.
PADI bends over backwards to make sure those are minimal.
Sitting through their course twice is about the same time and effort as most other agencies' course once.

Have you done the Nitrox course? In my opinion there was enough redundancy there already, in essence you learn everything 3x, I know its necessary for some, but just reading the book and doing the problems was enough for me, much less doing it all over again. Sure, I might then get all 70 (or so) questions right instead of the 69/70 I did the first time around, but I'd rather spend that time either A) in the water or B) on another specialty if you don't mind.

Uck, my c card still hasn't gotten here and so I emailed PADI, and they say that they lost my PIC, now its supposedly on its way priority mail, I hope it gets here soon, I'm off to the Philippines and Indonesia for a month!

:)

Back
Top Bottom