Casa Mexicana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Casa Mexicana is where I stay on most of my trips. The hotel is extremely clean. The rooms are spacious and include a small fridge. There is a small work table to use your laptop. Wifi is good with recent upgrades.Nice balconies to dry your stuff. My dive op is a 3-4 minute walk and they go to all of the furthest dive sites. Staff is very friendly and helpfull. It is a short walk to the square and some great downtown restaraunts. Buffet breakfast is great. Nice big lobby to sit and relax.
Negatives...and I am reaching to find faults. Breakfast starts at 7 and I need to be on the boat by 7:30.
No beach however I find the surface interval of 1 1/2 hrs or longer at Mr. Sanchos plenty of beach time.
I did have one trip where there was noise from Sr. Frogs or Carlos and Charlies however the cruise ships seem to be leaving between 6-9 p.m. so not an issue in the last two years.
Stayed at the Bahia Suites and yes it is cheaper if that is a factor but prefer the Mexicana.

I stayed at Casa Mexicana in July 2011, and I generally liked it. Rooms were large and comfortable, AC worked very well, and I really liked the downtown location. Biggest con I had was the lack of a real swimming pool. Coz is hot and muggy in July and I really missed a big pool to jump in. The "pool" at Casa Mexicana is really just a slightly oversized kiddie pool - no more than 3' deep, maybe 12' x 25'. Not deep enough or large enough to swim in. Downtown location is only a problem for diving if you insist on a dive operator outside of town --Aldora's office is right around the corner, and it's pier right across the street. I understand there are several other dive operators that are based downtown and will pick up downtown. Rooms include free breakfast buffet, but I was not impressed with the buffet. There's plenty of food, but quality was not great. Location is great for walking to all the great downtown restaurants for lunch or dinner, or strolling to the Plaza for people-watching in the evenings.

Not if you get a southern hotel

---------- Post added April 7th, 2013 at 11:03 PM ----------

The vast majority of the dive boats start some distance from the major dive sites.
Not if you get a hotel down south.expensive tho.

Not if you get a hotel down south.expensive tho.
A hotel down south doesn't mean that the dive boats, with the exception of a few local ops like Dive Palancar, don't start some distance from the major dive sites. Ron is correct, the vast majority of the dive boats start some distance from the major dive sites (mostly at La Caleta) and so do the majority of the divers.

Southern hotels aren't necessarily more expensive. As long as I eat $100 worth of food and drink $100 worth of drinks per day, my room at Secrets Aura will only effectively cost $32/night. That's cheaper than many places downtown AFAIK :)

My wife and I have almost always stayed at Casa Mexicana, because the quality of everything is excellent for the price. The buffet is really excellent. Nice sunning area even if the pool is only good for a dip or two. We like being able to walk to many of our favorite restaurants. I think it is the best place to stay downtown. We like the rooms facing South. You pay the city view rate and get a great ocean view on the patio. City side is good also. Like floors 3-5 as they are quieter.

diverken374 what op do you use? I'm got the trip booked now looking at dive ops. I'm a newbie and will be diving solo so will need to find a buddy.
Thanks

You don't need to find a buddy. You have the right to remain silent about a buddy. If you cannot afford one, one will be appointed for you.

Stay close to the DM if no other single divers will buddy with you. That's not optimal, but it's done all the time.

If you're not picky about dive ops, you could probably find several that have dive packages with the popular hotels in town so you can save a few bucks. It may end up being a cattleboat experience, but those can often be more newbie-friendly, not to mention offering more chances to find a single buddy.

Several ops pick up at at the Aldora pier a block or so north of Casa Mex. Many love Aldora, I love diving with Blue XTSea, I think Deep Blue also picks up there, and others. I don't think any of them will be a bad choice, and they will all accomodate a solo diver, I'm sure. Have a great trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom