Cancun-Cozumel Ferry Info Needed Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squarepants

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We finally booked our flights for our first dive trip in Cozumel! Yipppeee!!!
We arrive in Cancun at 8:11 pm on October 25th, and we may spend the night and ferry over on Sunday, the 26th.
Does anyone know if we need to make reservations for the ferry, and how much it costs? Any schedule info would be appreciated if it's out there.
We'll also be ferrying back on the 2nd of Nov. to catch a 1:37 flight out.

Now I'm really excited!!!!

It runs every day from well before dawn to well after dark. The cost is less than $20 one way. It runs on the hour and the trip takes less than about 40 minutes. I am sure someone out there can give you more details but that what I remember.

Rather than staying in Cancun, you might consider staying right in Playa Del Carmen. There's a very nice hotel just a block or so from the ferry terminal -- but the name escapes me at the moment.

I don't know about that. By the time they clear customs and what not that would be an awfully long ride in a cab at night through the Mexican countryside. I would have second thoughts about that one. I'd probably consider a hotel at the Cancun airport or catching a shuttle flight over to Coz.

How long of a ride is it from Cancun to Playa Del Carmen anyway? Is there a preferred mode of transportation?

How do I look into catching a shuttle flight?
Thanks! I'm glad I included my arrival and departure times. I wouldn't have thought of the late cab ride in the Mexican countryside.

I was there last month with my gf. We stayed in Cancun City as it is cheaper than the Hotel Zone (we are budget travellers). We stayed overnight at the Hotel Parador ($40. US + tax and they take credit cards at no extra charge). They are a block or so from the main (only) bus terminal. In the morning you can walk to the terminal and take a bus to Playa Del Carmen then the ferry to Cozumel. You could get into Cozumel before noon. There were two express boats and they both cost about the same. If you stay at the Parador be sure and get a room towards the back (any floor) as there is a bar on the ground floor front that can be noisy. You won't hear it towards the back with your A/C on. The Parador has cheaper rates if you book online. There are taxis as well as shuttle vans from the airport to Cancun City. The taxis are very expensive in that direction. Check out the shuttle vans (the name escapes me)

I was told $15US for Ferry. But will _know_ in a month . Just remind me :rolleyes:

squarepants once bubbled...
How long of a ride is it from Cancun to Playa Del Carmen anyway? Is there a preferred mode of transportation?

How do I look into catching a shuttle flight?
Thanks! I'm glad I included my arrival and departure times. I wouldn't have thought of the late cab ride in the Mexican countryside.
I've done both the small plane Cancun to Cozumel and also the ferry. In addition to taxis there are also nice, clean airconditioned buses that run directly from the airport to a terminal about 4 blocks from the ferry. I don't have a clear recollection of the fare or trip length, but probably around US$20 and 1 hour.
Your travel agent, or Travelocity/Expedia, etc should be able to come up with the flight info. Two different companies. One is a subsidiary of Mexicana. I think the other is AeroCaribe. Roughly US$100. It's only a 20 minute flight. You might not be able to get one that late. Normally you clear customs and immigration in Cancun, although on one of my trips I cleared immigration in Cancun and my bags went through customs in Cozumel (They had held the last plane of the day for me, and hustled me through immigration).

Another way to setup the trip is to spend some time in Cozumel, then a couple of nights at some place like Akumal (South of PDC) and dive the Cenotes.

I'd have to agree with Tim's post. You will definitely want to spend the night in Cancun. You wouldn't be saving much time heading south and staying in Playa. I don't know how long your flight into Cancun is or even longer if you have connecting flights and wait time at the airport. Immigration lines on a Saturday is the worst! That's why we come and go on weekdays. Stay in Cancun. I can recommend a good place to stay for $60 (room not per person) right in the hotel zone. Beachfront, rooftop jacuzzi. Nice place. Dowtown is a few bucks cheaper but you add 15-20 minutes travel in the AM. The ride to Playa del Carmen is only a half hour or so depending on the driver. I can also recommend a reliable transportation company. I know the owner and have become good friends with him over the years. The shuttle van service crams you in like cattle nd they wait for 6 or 8 people before leaving. Then they stop at multiple locations dropping off all the other guests. Having your own driver is less of a headache and you go right to where you want on your schedule. For only a few bucks more. I will be in Cancun 10/30 to 11/7 and will have two or three dive buddies with me. You are welcome to join us. We are planning to travel south of the biosphere and stay overnight then diving the Chinchorro Reefs and wrecks. Weather permitting we'll hop over to Belize while we're in the area. Message me and I can give you more info.

You've finally made it official. We will be ferrying over the afternoon of the 25th. Last I remember it is $7 or $8 per person one way for the ferry. The cheapest ride to playa will be the bus. You'll need to check to make sure the schedule fits your plans. You can take a taxi otherwise. There is a website with the ferry schedule and prices www.playaguide.com/ferrysched.html .

:tree: :turtle:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom