Cancun-Cozumel Ferry Info Needed Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99 once bubbled...
is a lot easier for those of you in the mid-section of US than for people in Norhern California or the PNW.

And it's often cheaper for those of you far away from the Gulf coast to get to CZM than for those of us in Texas. Last year when I was doing my pre-travel research, Continental's website quoted me $1185 for AUS-CZM-AUS, but round trip from Toronto was only $602, and the HOU-CZM and CZM-HOU legs were the same plane. Ouch.

Aside: this is post #100 for me; will I lose the dreaded "junior member" label? ;^)

The trip from Cancun to PDC is 30-45 min(or so). Your problem is your late arrival. If it were me I'd head on down to PDC that night, you'll be there by 10pm. That way you won't have to get up too early just to get transportation to PDC instead have a nice breakfast and then just walk over to the ferry pier. It runs every 30 min all day except around lunch (every hour) and after 9pm or so(every hour). If I remember correctly.

I've traveled to Coz both ways, direct flight and thru Cancun. I saved money by flying into Can but added about 3 hours to the trip. An early arrival into Can is the best for that last short leg to Coz, to be sure.

I'll be there Oct 8-16 myself. Can't wait.

Yeah. That is what we are going to do. Not only that, but we are going to spend our first day on the mainland seeing the sights. Another poster recommended as good guide, and we may even get a cenote dive in, too. I reall look foreward to that and seeing some ruins, etc.

To answer the original question (sort of), there are two ferry companies that operate between Playa Del Carmen and Cozumel. They seem to charge the same amount but they are not equal.

Take the WaterJet ferry, the blue and White one. Do NOT use the Ultramar Blue and YELLOW ferry. The WaterJets are multihulls that are MUCH faster, and they do not stink of diesel fumes in transit.

Tickets were $8 each way or $15 round trip for either ferry in late June 2003.

Rivera operates a bus from the Airport in Cancun to the Ferry pier area in Playa Del Carmen. The stopping point is actually about a 5 minute walk from the bus terminal to the pier. They sell tickets near the baggage claim area in the airport for $8. The return trip only cost 65 Pesos or $8 when we bought tickets at the terminal.

The trip to/from Cancun / Playa was about 45 minutes each time. The bus is airconditioned, and they had TV or movies playing. All in all it was not bad.

Flying into Cozumel directly would have cost me ~$150 to $200 more, and the times were not wonderful. I will definitely do the Cancun-Playa-Ferry to Cozumel routine again.

Just my experiences and my opinions.

Wristshot

Does anyone know if the ferry operated on Christmas day and New Year's Eve day or New YEar's day?

We just got back ( 3 hours ago ) from CZM.

I agree with everything Wristshot said earlier here. SHould add that Mexicana starting earlier ( 5 am ) and runs till 23:00 ( from Playa ). So it was only choice.

Cozumel "downtown" - suck### big time. So i will recommend getting all inclusize and staying in the hotel.

But it's just me.

We will write a report about our staying there in a week or so.

M_B once bubbled...

Cozumel "downtown" - suck### big time. So i will recommend getting all inclusize and staying in the hotel.

But it's just me.

It certainly is. ;^)

As to San Miguel, I enjoy it very much, especially back away from the main drag a couple of blocks where the cruseros rarely go. True, it's pretty tame as far as night life goes (although there are places where you can go get embarrasingly drunk and loud in a group that is doing the same), but I love the restaurants and the small off-the-beaten-path shops.

DSFDF and YMMV, of course, but I would never take an AI deal on Cozumel.

ggunn once bubbled...

<skipped>

DSFDF and YMMV, of course, but I would never take an AI deal on Cozumel.

Hmmm, why? We went to "presentation" to "reef club" they have nice resort and nice (??? who knows better please tell me if i'm wrong here) buffet and restourant.

Back
Top Bottom