Cancun-Cozumel Ferry Info Needed Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My travel agent just called me and reported that a few arlines are having problems and keep cancelling flights to and from Cozumel. Now being told I will have to plan on just taking ferry to avoid waiting around to see if the flights happen or not. btw will be leaving this Saturday for a 8 day stay in Cozumel. Staying at the Iberostar.

Our flight to Cancun has been changed three times already. Not a big deal though. We have to leave to go home 2 hours earlier. Whatever, we can't dive that day anyway!;-0

Going between Cancun and Playa Del Carmen will knock you out of the donor program for a year.

Cancun's Ok, Cozumel's Ok, it's the drive through the "undeveloped" area between Cancun and Playa Del Carmen that's not Ok.

Roak

James Goddard once bubbled...
Gee, I always just fly direct to Coz. Seems so much simpler that way.

James

Always simpler,yes, but sometimes flying into CUN is far cheaper.

ggunn once bubbled...

Always simpler,yes, but sometimes flying into CUN is far cheaper.

I imagine there are a few places where that might be true, especially in Texas, but for the most part, all the rates I've seen from futher away have been comparable.

Besides, how much money are you saving it you either a) take another hop from Cancun to Coz or b) have to spend the night in a hotel in Cancun as our poster is?

James

I'm beginning to regret not just flying into CZM. My trip was planned by the MilesOne travel agents and one of the tix was a FF miles ticket, so I doubt I can change.

Who are the air carriers from CUN-CZM so I can try to plan our flights? It seems a whole lot simpler to do it that way. If we can find rt for $100 each (or less) we'll probably do it.

James Goddard once bubbled...

I imagine there are a few places where that might be true, especially in Texas, but for the most part, all the rates I've seen from futher away have been comparable.

Besides, how much money are you saving it you either a) take another hop from Cancun to Coz or b) have to spend the night in a hotel in Cancun as our poster is?

James

There are a lot of variables, such as the time of year, availability of charter flights (which are usually a lot cheaper) into CZM vs CUN from where you are, how late in the game you are trying to book, etc. I always do extensive research for every trip I make to CZM, and a couple of times (for me, from here) the savings have been worth the trouble. For my sister, flying in from New Orleans, it has more often been that way. Who can make sense out of airline pricing schemes?

is a lot easier for those of you in the mid-section of US than for people in Norhern California or the PNW.

It used to be easy. Fly to Houston, then take the afternoon Continental flight to Cozumel. Unfortunately, Continental killed that flight a couple years ago. So my options from the west coast are things like flying to Cancun and then taking the short hop to Cozumel, or taking the redeye out SFO and a 3 hour layover in Houston before a 9AM flight.

But when there's a will there's a way. Last year, because I only booked flights 3 days before going my outbound routing was San Jose -- Miami -- Cancun -- Cozumel. Return was a more rationale Cancun - DFW - SFO after doing some cenote diving near Akumal.

Last trip, we arrived in Cancun at 10:40PM (too late to get to Playa and catch the last ferry (its about 8 or 9PM). Took a collectivo to Playa (cost about $15 per person). Taxi would be more but be more expensive. Too late to catch the best Cancun-Playa transport, the Riviera Bus.

Stayed in a hotel at the top of the ferry dock (wouldnt' recommend it so won't even name it). When I go again, I will stay at Continental Plaza (which is immediately south of the ferry terminal).

In the morning, we caught the 7AM ferry and made it to Coz in time to dive two tanks that day. We decided to stay in Playa so we could make that first day of diving. By the time you get to downtown Cancun or to the hotel zone from the airport, you could have been in Playa and closer to the ferry for the AM.

Return trip, we took the afternoon ferry over and stayed in the hotel zone and flew out the next morning at 1100AM.

The ferry is a very nice way to go and getting back and forth from Cancun to Playa isn't that bad. The best option (weighing comfort and convenience against cost and time) is the Rivera Bus. It runs to and from the airport to the ferry terminal. Air conditioned and reliable. Only problem is that they don't run early in the morning or late at night.

Rich Hagelin

Back
Top Bottom