Votes: 13 7.8%
  • No.

Votes: 13 7.8%
  • Shut up and dive!

Votes: 19 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll admit that reaching my single valve is very difficult for me in my dry suit -- not a problem in doubles.

Just for some laughs for y'all, one of the questions on my PADI DM test asked something like: "What should you do to assist a technical diver before she enters the water?" One of the choices was: Check her valve to make sure it is on; another was -- None of the above.

My answer of "None of the above" was "wrong" because the OFFICIAL answer was "Check the valve to make sure it is on!" Both my instructor and I got a chuckle out of it because we both know we'd be missing some fingers if we touched the valves on any boat around here!

I HATE anyone messing with my valve whether im on single or twins.

The best way to help a technical diver is ask if there's anything they want help with. Everyone has different setups, styles and procedures, there is no one size fits all. The best help is someone who only does what he's asked for that sort of diving.

Abroad on boats where there are DMs (not an issue in the uk as they dont exist) After jumping in the first thing i do is reach back and check my valve just in case some "helpful" person has adjusted it while i was fitting my fins etc.

ScubaKris:
Sorry ,.. I don't believe this fariy tale.

Ok

ScubaKris:
He claimed that his valve rubbed against the rocks and turned off on descent. B.S.! If it had rubbed against the rocks on descent,.. it would have turned it on ,.. not off.

Right, and I clearly stated that it happened on ASCENT. By your own logic, if it turns the valve on during descent, it would turn it off on ascent right?
I don't care if you are going to believe me or not, but if you are going to call me a liar then atleast admit that it is possible. Go grab a tank and think it through. It did happen exactly as I described, the buddy was my dad, and we were acsending on a fixed line that is anchored to the bottom in 80 feet of water. Not to mention the fact that I have nothing to gain by lying about it.

[
ScubaKris:
I charge $5 a turn to turn someones air on under water.,.. bring your Visa
My hero

So Doubles divers is it easier to Reach your valves in doubles than singles? Sorry in advance if I missed anyone mentioning this.

1_T_Submariner:
So Doubles divers is it easier to Reach your valves in doubles than singles? Sorry in advance if I missed anyone mentioning this.

Should be the same if you are trimmed out properly.

I dove with a couple doubles divers two weeks ago and they both said that they couldn't reach theirs. I mentioned moving the tanks up so they could. The reply was that it screwed with their trim. Of course each had several pounds of channel weight.

Makes you wonder who writes their tests :wink:

Peter Guy:
Just for some laughs for y'all, one of the questions on my PADI DM test asked something like: "What should you do to assist a technical diver before she enters the water?" One of the choices was: Check her valve to make sure it is on; another was -- None of the above.

My answer of "None of the above" was "wrong" because the OFFICIAL answer was "Check the valve to make sure it is on!" Both my instructor and I got a chuckle out of it because we both know we'd be missing some fingers if we touched the valves on any boat around here!

1_T_Submariner:

I dive doubles... and I can work my valves without any trouble... In my single rig it is a little bit harder. If you look at a doubles rig the valves are off to the side... The isolator (middle) is the hardest to reach since it's centerline... but it is a lot higher than where your single tank valve would be.

Twinsets are easier as the valves are typically more off to the side and in line with the shoulder whereas a single tank valve is in the middle of the back.

Yes, doubles are definitely much easier than a singles (at least in my dry suit and thick undergarments).

String:
Twinsets are easier as the valves are typically more off to the side and in line with the shoulder whereas a single tank valve is in the middle of the back.
and a single sits on top the channel in the plate (where as a set of doubles straddles the plate?)
I have never used doubles but did a valve drill today with my Al plate which holds my valve off slightly more than my steel.

Back
Top Bottom