Votes: 13 7.8%
  • No.

Votes: 13 7.8%
  • Shut up and dive!

Votes: 19 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well, i think an option "Yes" is missing. i can reach but it's not very important for me. i answered the first option but it does not truly reflect.

know this has been disscussed many times and is off the sort of off the subject but here goes. The reason a valve is opened then 1/4 back is so you can verify it in the open direction. If the you tried to verify a valve that was stuck shut you might think that it was already open. This guy just sounds screwed up like he didn't understand the process.

I have been certified for 33 years and dive often. A lot of agencies teach the 1/4 deal . originally started to save pressure on the o-ring in the valve.

If it is off you will know it no air when you test the second stage.

Agencies such an IDEA don't teach the 1/4 deal.

By the way I have dozens of instructor certs from many agencies

Only a moron needs a 1/4 turn test to know a valve is on.

All the valves you have used your whole life, on your tolilet, sink tank ccw on cw off!

That is not true. There are some things that use left handed threads.

ScubaKris:
Only a moron needs a 1/4 turn test to know a valve is on.

All the valves you have used your whole life, on your tolilet, sink tank ccw on cw off!

Yes there are,....but you would be talking about table saws and items with motor type moving parts.

If you are old enough to remember the turn table, (record player), radios in cars with knobs or other electronic items that used knobs. The fact is that the standard is ccw to turn on and cw to turn off.

the best way to take care of a problem is to eliminate it. The valve is either on or off. YOu would find out when you pressed your second stage and octo to test and power inflater, If you bypassed this,.. If it is off and the hose is full of air, you won't get two - three breaths before it's dry. Not finding out 20' down.

I know there are people that cannot remember which way is on and off. I have seen them on the dive sites trying to figure it out. I know there are people that have to think, HARD,.. about ccw and cw. I have never heard anyone simply tell students ccw on,..cw off.

With that being said,...if you cannot figure out how to turn on your air,.. or ccw from cw. I have serious doubts about you scuba diving. I would not want that person as my buddy!!!!!!!!!!

Your shower/bath valves open ccw close cw

keys open ccw

Door knobs that open only in one direction open ccw

Your first stage yoke knob opens ccw,.. closes cw

The back plate of your dive watch to replace the battery opens ccw and closes cw.

Why do people have a problem with this??? Your doing it automatic without thinking hundreds of times a day.

Question,.. let's see if you were taught this. What do you do with a runaway power inflator??

Bathroom sink, my hot water opens CCW and cold open CW. Weird huh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom