Votes: 13 7.8%
  • No.

Votes: 13 7.8%
  • Shut up and dive!

Votes: 19 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have tried all different tank position adjustments and cant with a single tank and my 7mm wet suit. any advice would be nice cause I think it is important but find it impossible.

If I need to reach the valve I slip out of the rig so I can. Never had the need to yet.

I just did some equipment weighting setup in my pool. After seeing this come up a few times, I decided to make sure I could reach.

No Problem.

Thanks SB again for some very helpful information.

Scott T

Whale Whisperer:
Yup being able to reach my valve helped me out in one situation where a crew member cranked my valve shut then barely cracked it open. It gave me just enough air till I passed 50 feet. Then things got a little interesting lol.

As a newbie, I never realized the importance of being able to do this until the same thing happened to me. Everything was fine until I hit 60ft, then suddenly my computer starts screaming at me (amazing how loud it is u/w) and it felt like I was trying to breath through a straw. I had checked my gauges only moments before and knew that I had plenty of air, but the computer was reading 240psi. I thought, how weird! :huh: Luckily I didn't panic at all and I knew that something was not right about the situation. It was all easily corrected at depth. At the time, I didn't know what a "cracked tank" meant (as the DM called it). Now, of course, I do make it a habit and I have learned an invaluable lesson! It's one of my many A-HA! moments.

I WILL be the last one to touch my valve!!!

NorthWoodsDiver:
I have tried all different tank position adjustments and cant with a single tank and my 7mm wet suit. any advice would be nice cause I think it is important but find it impossible.

It can be tough, especially in a tight 7 mil suit. First make sure that you can touch the valve with the back of your head if you tilt your head all the way back. Then, one thing that helps with a thicker suit is to tuck your head forward, place your right hand (right wrist really) on the back of your head, then tilt your head all the way back. The valve should just about fall right into your hand. Using your head to push your hand back to the valve can make things easier with a thicker or tighter suit, atleast it did for me.
Hope that helps.

ScubaKris:
Why??????????

In addition to some of the reasons mentioned, thought I share a real experience that happened to me and a buddy 2 months ago. We were diving and my buddy (new drysuit diver) was having some trouble with his bouyancy. To help him we decided to ascend on a fixed line. The line was a rough braided-nylon type, and he was holding on tight. As we were going up the line was rubbing against his valve behind his head and he didn't realize it. I noticed it just as it shut the valve off. If he had been solo diving, or I hadn't been paying attention, looking the other way, taking a picture, etc. it might have been more difficult for him. Certainly not a life threatening event as he could have done a CESA if he stayed calm, but since he can reach his valve he can easily turn it back on, making it a non-event and being able to finish his safety stop.

Absolutely. I can even reach my single tank valve with either hand. It positively kills me to see someone diving a jacket BC with an AL80 and the top of their tank is midway down their back.

I can't do it without pushing the tank neck to the right a little.
I had my right shoulder and biceps rebuilt 2 years ago, and I just can't get my
right arm to work like it did before.
Its hell when ya start to break down.
Jim Breslin

Back
Top Bottom