Can we go to Coz yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear a bandana across my face anytime I go anywhere. I gather that I am protecting others more than myself, and that most others are not bothering elevates the risk to me. I guess all I can do is stay home more.

I was shopping mostly for my brother's household today and posted a selfie with a bandana on FB as a hint to others. My niece saw it and told my SIL that she was ordering me cloth masks. Is my bandana not effective? It does breathe harder. My SIL gave me a couple of masks that they brought home from the hospital when my brother had to have a broken foot set in plaster yesterday. Boy, he is grounded now.

Your link is full of incorrect information and I won't spend my time here refuting it point by point. Masks make a huge difference in containment of infectious diseases. To say they don't is click bait as in your link or justification for refusal to take simple steps to limit our exposure.

I just this morning got word from my sister in law that she has now realized that this is serious. She lives in Smithville TX. She was cautious at first but slowly quit taking protective measures and even went to church last Sunday. Now she has received word that her son and grandchild are very sick with Covid and her daughter in law are trying to care for them while they quarantine in a small part of the house. She says, "this isn't over". Well yeah, it's not and pretending it is doesn't make it so. He could have easily been at her house this weekend but wasn't. If he had been there would have been no protective measures practiced and my brother and sister in law would be at serious risk.

Small town TX is next I suspect. TX has the chance to keep their numbers low but we are blowing our opportunity because we are lulled into complacency.

My doctor friend in Cozumel asked the question this morning. What do you do when those around you refuse to wear their mask? Cough.

I said it was "interesting"....not that I take it as Gospel.
It is no wonder why certain folks refuse to wear masks. Lots of opposing opinions. Personally, I wear a mask whenever I go into another building outside of my home. I avoid situations where I will be forced to congregate with others in public. What can it hurt?

--From a Small Town Texas Dude

Your link is full of incorrect information and I won't spend my time here refuting it point by point. Masks make a huge difference in containment of infectious diseases. To say they don't is click bait as in your link or justification for refusal to take simple steps to limit our exposure.

I just this morning got word from my sister in law that she has now realized that this is serious. She lives in Smithville TX. She was cautious at first but slowly quit taking protective measures and even went to church last Sunday. Now she has received word that her son and grandchild are very sick with Covid and her daughter in law are trying to care for them while they quarantine in a small part of the house. She says, "this isn't over". Well yeah, it's not and pretending it is doesn't make it so. He could have easily been at her house this weekend but wasn't. If he had been there would have been no protective measures practiced and my brother and sister in law would be at serious risk.

Small town TX is next I suspect. TX has the chance to keep their numbers low but we are blowing our opportunity because we are lulled into complacency.

My doctor friend in Cozumel asked the question this morning. What do you do when those around you refuse to wear their mask? Cough.

I used to go to Mexican restaurant to get take out dinner during lockdown. They set up a reasonable drive through system in their parking lot with waiter waiting outside, wearing mask, to deliver your takeout. Last week I went there and didn't see the drive through system any more. The parking lot was packed. I had to go inside to pick up my take out order. Everything was back to the normal busy restaurant like before COVID-19 time, tables were packed with customers, who none of them was wearing mask. Among twenty or so waiter, I only saw 1 wearing mask, while cleaning the table. I just picked up my takeout order and got the hell out of there quickly.

It's not a matter of differing opinions, it's the fact that articles like this from random no name people and sources (WTF is "Deep Roots At Home"?...lol) only talk about how wearing a mask isn't as effective at preventing YOU from getting it. Nobody ever disputed that. But, it IS effective at helping to prevent someone that has it from spreading it to others. People that refuse to wear masks are only concerned about themselves and couldn't care less if they accidentally spread it to some old lady in the grocery store because they are pre-symptomatic and don't realize yet that they have it.

Even the link you posted had a quote saying:
"Regular surgical masks are great for people who are sick. Stops the from spreading disease by not coughing far (you should stop buying those too, btw). They don't keep viruses out and they don't keep you safe...".

So, she basically said it helps keep others safe, but not you, so don't bother...lol. It's clear that "doctor" gives zero craps about the welfare of anyone other than herself.

Is this stream still about going to Cozumel?

Well, Cozumel has restaurants and bars, and their re-opening is about a month behind the states being discussed so what is happening in those states may be a harbinger of what is to come for Cozumel.

Restaurants and bars have little choice. Those are tough industries in the best of times and most do not last 5 years. They cannot make it at 25% or even 50% running delivery or curbside pickup. Those doing that are just trying to generate cash flow and stem the bleeding so that they can survive a few months. But they can't survive many months more. The packed scenario described by some is simply the reality of what it takes to make it in those industries.

Btw, have you been out and about or mostly confined to your little oasis? I'm wondering what a vacay there would be like for someone staying at a hotel without it's own restaurant and bar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom