Can I use CCR Petrel for OC diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dylanfromwinnipeg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got my first CCR (haven't done the training yet), it came with a Petrel 3 with connector. CCR training isn't for a couple months, can I use that Petrel for OC diving? If so do I remove the cable?

1727738681776.png

Attachments

• 1727738684815.png
    1727738684815.png
    535 KB · Views: 14
you can in that it has the modes to but cable is not removable so I would strongly suggest getting a cap for the subconn and finding a good routing solution for the cable under the bungees. More trouble than its worth for most so thye'll get a backup computer. It's the only downside of going away from the Fischers, the Subconns are superior in every single way except they don't have a clean bulkhead for OC diving. A worthwhile tradeoff IMO

ive never tried but I guess you could run it in Bail out mode at the start of a dive - the cable can be run up your arm and to keep it tidy too could get an old pair of tights /leggings and cut them off and just use the leg part over your arm- no doubt you have a back up computer anyway from your OC career?
petrel looks nice and shiny did you buy a new set up

sw-inside.jpg

This is the inside of a SW with fixed cable connection. It's not just the connector on the outside of the computer, the inside is completely sealed off as well.

Getting a 2nd SW as a backup is cheaper than a cable replacement! Fixing a cable fault is a headache.....

sw-outside.jpg

I own a Perdix also, but my Perdix is currently down in Mexico, and I'm up in Canada right now. Have a pool session coming up (family is trying a discover scuba dive), and I was hoping to test out some gear I have laying around - have a handful of AI transmitters I haven't used in a while wanted to check if they still work. But if it's going to be a big hassle to bring the Petrel into the pool on OC, I'll just skip it.

See Petrel 3 failure threads, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom