Calling All Mac Users!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my opinion the better thing would be for manufacturers to publish the protocol used to read out their dive computers. If they did so, then one nice program - MacDiveLog - could communicate with different computers. I suppose the problem for the manufacturers is that they then feel they lose the revenue stream from selling a proprietary program...

This is what i was talking about... A Mac based program that would intergrate all the dive computers. If they made it for PC and Mac they'd make a killing, think iTunes but for diving. I know most of my friends use iTunes on there PCs just because its easy to use.

but an Apple dive computer, that could be nice too. Music on those long Decos, GPS, Texting (vital if you got lost from the boat), downloadable dive maps, wreck diagrams, ect. only draw back is it would be the size of an iPhone, 3 times more then the VR3, and only come in white. :rofl3:

Macbook pro Intel, Macbook pro G4, G5 tower and G4 iMac.

Had a Suunto D6 that was stolen, replaced it with a Suunto Gekko it was not designed to link with any computer so I saved some money. Plus, the Gekko, gives me average depth and the 'D' range does not (amazingly)

All I can say is that I found out about Divelog shortly after having bought a Mosquito a few years back. I tested it - and it worked. The few things I had problems with, I contacted the developer (Mark) about - and he was very responsive and had them fixed in no time.
The product keeps getting better and better. Never had any real problems with it. I used it on a Powerbook G3, then G4 and now on an Intel MacBook Pro. First using a USB to Serial adapter, now using a straight USB cable I purchased on eBay.

Thanks, Mark, for having written this program!!!

Cheers,

Andre

Problem NOTsolved...(just upgrade to Leopard and run XP or Vista through Bootcamp)
I just finished doing this, and I found a flaw.

I set up SDM2.6 in Windows XP Pro running in Boot Camp. I access this by launching Parallels in Mac OS X 10.5.2. [The idea is to boot up in Macintosh, then launch Parallels (an amazing Macintosh application), which in turn reaches over to my Boot Camp partition to launch Windows in a Macintosh window, all "untouched by human hands." In the Windows window I then launch SDM.]

There's no problem running SDM this way. It runs beautifully, in fact. My problem came when I hooked up my Vytec. To make the Vytec's serial cable connect to my MacBook Pro, I have it plugged in to a Keyspan USB adaptor. I installed the keyspan driver in Windows to be able to recognize the cable and read its data.

I found that the Keyspan/SDM/Windows/Parallels setup is sensitive to the precise sequence of setting SDM to import dive data, plugging in the Vytec cable, and clicking the "next" button. In fact I had a scary moment when Windows froze as a result of my not doing this precisely right. Not only that, I even lost access to the Macintosh dock at the same time.

Fortunately, I got lucky. After flipping back and forth between Windows and Mac OS I was able to shut down Windows before quitting Parallels and restarting the Mac. But there were sweaty palms, because if I had had to force Parallels to shut down without first gracefully terminating Windows, "bad things" could have happened to my Boot Camp partition--and I hadn't backed it up yet.

If you have some clues for a bulletproof way to import dive data into SDM in the configuration I'm using, I'd love to hear from you. (I'll be experimenting with booting directly into windows, obviously, so consider that point taken already.)

Or...

I've just released a native Mac OS X dive app for talking to the Suunto D6/D9, and Suunto Dive Manager 2 logbooks.

Support for other computers coming in a while, but for now I need a break.

click here for macdive

It's free. You will require a USB driver for it to read from your D6/D9.

I asked Suunto. They responded by saying they won't do it. (release the source code or at least their data transmission protocol). I'm so grateful to Mark for reverse engineering the protocol and creating Divelog. At least for me, it works like a charm. No Parallels needed. No Windows. OS X native. I'm happy! :)

Nice. I'll have to try it sometime. I assume it'll work with my Mosquito. I don't think Suunto's protocol has changed. Cool!:)

Or...

I've just released a native Mac OS X dive app for talking to the Suunto D6/D9, and Suunto Dive Manager 2 logbooks.

Support for other computers coming in a while, but for now I need a break.

click here for macdive

It's free. You will require a USB driver for it to read from your D6/D9.

thats awsome, now i just need to get a mac.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom