Calling All Mac Users!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wonder if Apple could do something, I'm sure it would take some work but iDive is kind of catchy. :dork2:

wonder if Apple could do something, I'm sure it would take some work but iDive is kind of catchy. :dork2:

OMG The Steve should so do this. Does he dive, does anyone know? Then they can come out with the iFin, the iReg, iMask, iWing, iBackplate.

Oh then Microsoft could do the same thing, but the problem is that to make the Microsoft Wing for Water:2008 work you would have to inflate it, then get out of the water to reset it then get back in.

But I do have to admit I am enough of a fanboy to Apple that I would buy an iDive.

OMG The Steve should so do this. Does he dive, does anyone know? Then they can come out with the iFin, the iReg, iMask, iWing, iBackplate.

But I do have to admit I am enough of a fanboy to Apple that I would buy an iDive.

Now we are talking...

The iDive is a modified iPhone, depth rated to 100 meters, with WiFi connectivity to a tank transmitter and a ambient pressure sensor. It calculates your deco requirements and displays depth, tank pressure, remaining bottom time, etc., on the that big lovely iPhone screen. Interaction is by tapping, dragging, pinching, etc.

After the dive, you can upload the dive data to an app on your MacBook to study the profile and build a dive log.

Go The Steve!

The only downside that I can think of would be that you could receive SMS and emails while diving... Unless you flip the switch into "dive mode" (similar to flight mode except that WiFi for the tank transmitter stays on).

Regards
Peter

I'd like to add my support for er... mac support.

I've got an Oceanic VT3, a Mac Mini running Leopard and a G4 PowerBook running Panther. To be honest, I'd rather see DiveLog add compatibility for Oceanic computers rather than Oceanic add support for Mac - as others have said, their software is not the best.

I have a Oceanic Pro Plus 2 comp and I'm a Mac user.
Data cable is expensive and no mac support
:(

I dive a Cochran, and have to use parallels with xp. Which I hate, but at least it works. I sent an email to Cochran suggesting that they make a true port of their software for the mac then market it. There is a good market with this. I talk to more and more divers who use macs, and I have to believe if a company made a good Mac program and really let people know, then they would be able to sell more.

So how many of you would buy a computer over other comps because it had good mac software? Would this be a useful thing for a company to pursue? How important is this in your choice of comps?

I have to admit, since I went with Cochran that it really didn't make much difference to me but it would have been much more a factor if there were any good choices. Probably the main reason I even looked at Uwatec was because they at least had something.

And if anyone works for Apple who is reading this...pass this on the The Steve...

In my opinion the better thing would be for manufacturers to publish the protocol used to read out their dive computers. If they did so, then one nice program - MacDiveLog - could communicate with different computers. I suppose the problem for the manufacturers is that they then feel they lose the revenue stream from selling a proprietary program...

So how many of you would buy a computer over other comps because it had good mac software? Would this be a useful thing for a company to pursue? How important is this in your choice of comps?
I sure would. Of course, provided it also had some of the other features us Mac users got used to - good design and user friendliness. I know a lot of people who would do the same. Go Apple, start making dive computers! We need someone to get Steve interested in diving! :lotsalove:

The two companies I love/hate the most are Suunto and Garmin. These two companies are still alive because of their engineers. Not because of their sales, support, website, or customer relationship.

Garmin simply builds the best gps **hardware** devices (and I have to say, support them well in case of problem). And Suunto simply builds one of the best dive computer with inovative algorithm and user friendly display.

But none of these two company has developed software for the Mac. I guess that (statistically) 10% (or more) of their customers are not worth spending a few days developing user friendlier, Mac spirited software.

In addition, their PC software are just pieces of sloppy craps. Have you ever used Suunto Dive Manager (I use version 1.6 and 2.5 depending on what I have to do)? What's that user interface? Ever entered quotes in the name of a place, used foreign characters, imported/exported files from/to it, worked in different timezones? There were so many anoying bugs that I gave up repoting them (by the way, where should you report them?? Is there a software support at Suunto??).

The same runs for Garmin's Mapsource software that does not respect the minimum user interface conventions PC software use. And on their GPS devices, they only offer a pale copy of me-too features other manufacturers (like Tom-Tom or Magellan) have been offering for years. But still, despite of this weak user-interface software, they make a 12-antenna GPS-WAAS device with a precision that only few other manufacturers offer, and that's why I keep buying their devices.

Have you ever been on Garmin or Suunto's flash-based websites? Do you always find things fast and intuitively? They definitively do noty have the same "usability" test team working on their devices and on their websites. Do Garmin or Suunto have open forum? Noooo. They're too scare we publicly and openly complain about their products. (Fortunately, there are forum like this one!)

But be careful Garmin and Suunto: Other companies are catching up on technology (RGBM is no longer a Suunto exclusive), and are a lot less mean as fas as providing Mac-friendly software or open support through forums. I think that dispite your quality device, the next time, I will not buy one of yours. Not because of your device themselves, but because of your software computer skill. They're so bad, so poor in quality, that I really wonder how you still sell devices. I think you can thank your engineers who still build a very good hardware behind your sloppy computer software.

Many thanks to Mark Rosenstein for making Divelog for Mac, with Mac integration (iPhoto), and with NO support from Suunto.

Again...I say we invest in DiveLog and ask Mark to support the other computers. NONE of them offer Mac support, so he would do quite well getting the 10% of the market. This has worked well for many companies like MarkSpace, who make Mac connectivity software for devices like the Blackberry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom