Calling All Mac Users!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mislav:
This might be a broader issue, extending to Windows machines. You might want to repeat your question in a form of a new thread. Might increase your chances of getting a reply.

I don't know, until a year or so ago when I still had a PC I used to use the Suunto cable / serial-to-USB-cable combo without much of a problem. And it seems to work a lot better under Bootcamp, although I only did a short test.
But maybe I will start a new thread if I keep having troubles with this.
As of now it seems that I can get it to work pretty consistently if I cycle the Stinger back to TR-PC whenever the computer fails to find the attached Stinger.

paulwlee:
I don't quite get the idea behind the Sensus for personal use. I see how it may be useful for say collecting dive data from many divers, by distributing these out and then collecting them at a later date (was it developed for such a purpose?)

I don't want to stray too far from the topic of the thread, but since you asked...

Our recorders were originally designed to act as simple dive loggers for recreational divers. That's still the primary way that we market them. But our latest model is also used by a lot of tech divers, scientists, and in commercial applications due to its precision and capacity.

Our biggest single customer is DAN, who has over 100 of our Sensus Pro units for use on research projects. They also accept data from anyone using our recorders into their Project Dive Exploration database.

The main reasons that people (of all walks) tend to be attracted to the Sensus Ultra are:

• Resolution (0.5 inches in depth, 0.01 degrees in temperature)
  • Capacity (1500 hours w/ 10 second sampling)
  • Open, published communication protocol
  • Ease-of-use and battery life (10 yrs or 3000 dive hours)
  • Serial or USB connectivity
  • Mac OS support

In short, our hardware has little in common with the average dive computer. In a good way. :wink:

Kris

--
Kris Wilk
ReefNet Inc.
www.reefnet.ca

reefnet:
Our biggest single customer is DAN, who has over 100 of our Sensus Pro units for use on research projects. They also accept data from anyone using our recorders into their Project Dive Exploration database.

So does that mean we may see Level 3 Compatability for Project Dive Exploration for the Sensus sometime soon? :D

Actually, that would be a great way for Mac users to be able to participate, since the DAS software is PC only currently.

Fordan:
So does that mean we may see Level 3 Compatability for Project Dive Exploration for the Sensus sometime soon? :D

Actually, that would be a great way for Mac users to be able to participate, since the DAS software is PC only currently.

Yes, establishing Level 3 PDE support (direct upload to DAN) is one of our goals. In fact it has been for a long time, but it's been pushed back a few times so that we could finish other larger projects. But it will get done.

Unfortunately we've only got one full-time software/electronics engineer here, and that's me. :)

Kris

--
Kris Wilk
ReefNet Inc.
www.reefnet.ca

reefnet:
Unfortunately we've only got one full-time software/electronics engineer here, and that's me. :)

Kris

--
Kris Wilk
ReefNet Inc.
www.reefnet.ca

Well get to WORK then man! :D

The best reason to get a Sensus for personal use is because you can use it to record dives from now on and never, ever have to worry about paying $100 for a USB cable to work with whatever dive computer you happen to acquire. Your saving $100 off the cost of every dive computer you buy from now on.

The second best reason is MacOS support. If I wanted to run Windows I would have bought a Windows machine.

The third best reason is because of Kris' customer support. (THAT should be good for some free merchandise for me, huh?)

Oceanic Pro Plus 2 MacBook C2D. Not being able to use my computer to the max because companies are lazy and don't care about Mac users FTL. Will never buy anything from any company that does not support macs again.

I'm still having no luck with the VR3 :shakehead . I have phoned the company and thay still say that thay will not make the VR3 Mac compatible shame as i konw it is a realy good pice of kit...... has any one had any luck with this :confused:

reefnet:
  • Resolution (0.5 inches in depth, 0.01 degrees in temperature)
  • Capacity (1500 hours w/ 10 second sampling)
  • Open, published communication protocol
  • Ease-of-use and battery life (10 yrs or 3000 dive hours)
  • Serial or USB connectivity
  • Mac OS support
Kris, can we perhaps hope for a true dive computer with these specs from Reefnet? There's a big market for it... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom