Calling All Mac Users!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So let me get this straight,
I am new to the world of Diving but not Mac. Today I bought the Uwatec simply because I was led to believe (from mags more than sales people) that it works well with the Mac (Jtrack). Is this true? Does it work well? What real world experiences and problems have people encountered with the Uwatec and mac's. Also to those that use an Uwatec, what infrared units work besides the $100?
How does Mark's macdivelog program work the Suunto D9? From this post it doesn't look like it works well at all. Can a D9 actually work with a mac? The D9 is my first choice (gotta splurge on one thing might as well be the D9).
What are my options. In need of all information. I have searched this site for this info (obviously since I found this thread) but have had difficulty finding answers to my questions.

Was is a Mac owner to do?

The Uwatec is brand new and I can return it if necessary..... Please Help

Uwatec works good with Macs, once you manage to connect it. JTrak software is good, although not as full featured as the SmartTrak which is the official, Windows version of Uwatec software.

I can't recommend any working IR adapter since I haven't been able to find one yet. I hear they are there... Regarding the official Uwatec's adapter, I get conflicting reports on that. The makers of JTrak have told me in direct contact that it doesn't work with Macs yet, while another poster here claims it does.

Divelog works with Suuntos. Again, it's not as full featured as the original software you get for the Windows machines and in my view isn't any better than JTrak. We haven't heard from its developer for a while now. I wish we did. Last I know he announced Uwatec support, but we have yet to see that one come true.

Since you're a new diver, I'd recommend keeping your Uwatec. In my view, Uwatecs are a much better option for new divers. They offer great functionality, sometimes better than Suunto models, they require less interaction while diving to display the info you need, they have larger screens and they come at a competitive price.

Connecting your dive computer to your home computer is never really as important as having a dive computer you fully understand how to operate and easily use while diving.

I have an Uwatec and I am perfectly happy with it. If I were in a market to buy my first computer now, I'd get Suunto Stinger because I really like what it looks like and it offers enough features to be considered a good diving computer. Since Stingers are old models, replaced by D9 and no longer easy to find, my second choice would again be Uwatec. A lot of people aren't happy with D9 and I'm one of them, but they're still a good choice.

Always remember: no dive computer can make you a better diver.

Oh, and welcome to ScubaBoard!

I just found this thread. I am new to diving, but not to Macintoshes. I, too, am looking for software to download from my Mosquito to my Mac. I am considering DiveLog, which is offered for a very reasonable price of about $30.

I also found jDiveLog, a java application. This application is free under Gnu Public License. I am told that it will run under Mac OS X. I launched the program, but don't know how to enable the computer download functionality. Has anyone else looked at this software?

MichiganDiver:
I also found jDiveLog, a java application. This application is free under Gnu Public License. I am told that it will run under Mac OS X. I launched the program, but don't know how to enable the computer download functionality. Has anyone else looked at this software?
You need to follow the Linux installation instructions, the JAVA_HOME directory is in the /Library.

The application loads fine but I couldn't continue to test it as I only have a Serial cable for my dive computer and I'm on a G5. Log in as an admin or su to do the installation otherwise it will not work.

It seems quite handy once it's working, I'll try it on my Linux box later on since I do have a regular serial port on it.

You need to follow the Linux installation instructions, the JAVA_HOME directory is in the /Library.

[I have started a new thread to discuss jDiveLog and its installation on a Mac. Please post any replies in the new thread so this thread can return to its original topic.]

I got jTrak working once on my powerbook, and was able to do a test download from my smarttec with my generic whitebox IR adapter. No manuf. info on it, so I'm not sure what chipset it was, but apparently it was one that worked. I lost it a couple of months ago, sadly. :( Test data seemed fine at the time.

I have macs and pc's, and a treo, however. I use the treo (running AquaDiveLog) to pull the data from my uwatec, and since my treo (palm OS) currently syncs to my PC, I just ended up running the windows-based smarttrak rather than using my laptop. SmartTrak imports the AquaDiveLog XML file perfectly after a sync from the phone with the regular Palm sync software.

Found the UWATEC download kit on LeisurePro one night after trying another store-bought USB IRDA. For US$70, I feel exploited. (For US$79 you can get a new iPod Shuffle!) You get a 3 foot cable, the IR device (size of my pinky finger down to the second knuckle), and the mini-CD. One of the other IR devices cost about $8 and included a cable. But it arrived today, and it works.

My computer is a PowerBook G4. Chipset in the UWATEC is a SigmaTel 4210. I had to use a tray loading CD drive on another computer to copy the files from the mini-CD to a USB drive to install them on the PowerBook.

I bought the UWATEC IrDA as well and it worked plug and play with an Intel iMac running JTrac. Effortless.

Jim

I have 3 Mac (OSX), and I'm fed up with the lack of support for dive computer (Suunto especially) and for GPS (Garmin).
Mac Intel with Parallel is not a solution either (Windows sucks). A Mac kid developer would do a much better software than the PC craps in just a few days. Hire one of this kid, get him your specs and make a better software for the best computer.
(And yes, Mark Rosenstein (macdivelog) did a great job with no help from manufacturers.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom