Buying Your Own Gear for the First time? What order??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SterlingDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

I am looking for some wisdom from those who have been actively diving longer than few years.

My family of seven (ages 13-43) and I have been certified for about a year and have logged only about 10-15 dives a piece. We plan to increase that number dramaticly. We have dove enough to be thourghly hooked and are at the point that we only considered vacations that we can dive at.

With that said I would like to start to purchase our own gear. (we currently have our own good quality masks, fins, snorkles, and some wet suits.) We have been able to try different brands of dive equipment as we have had the opportunity to dive so we have had some experiance and we are getting a feel what fits us well ect. We are at the point we would like to use our gear and not others.

I am thinking a logical order of items purchased (x7, :() would be as follows:

1) Snorkling Equipment
2) Exposure Suits
3) Regulator
4) Intrument Console
5) Dive Computer
6) Quality travel gear bag
7) BC
8) Weight Belt, if applicable
9) Specialty equipment, lights, knives, etc.
10) Tank

Does this order seem to be what you would follow having gone through this before. Did I miss anything? I am used to top quality gear, but I might have to go a little more modest because of the shear numbers I have to outfit. Any Thoughts?

BTW, I have read most of the threads so I am really solicitating your own opinions, not direction to the threads. Thank you in advance for your help.

SterlingDiver

I would question the need for eveyone in your family to have #6. I would (and did) get #7 before #5. I agree with your idea to get the regulators early. That is THE piece of equipment you alway want to be the same.

Sterling

You are on the right track IMO. Fins and mask are most important at first. Then, depending on where you dive, the suits may or may not be overly critical.

#3 and 4 are a combined purchase. You may or may not include a computer in that console. Again, it greatly depends on what type of diving you are doing. If you are doing mostly short and shallow dives with the family then computers for them might not be a big issue at first.

Lights might be moved up the list again, depending on where and when you dive.

Your doing well. Now, lets go buy it! Always fun spending other peoples money:devious:

mwilding once bubbled...
I agree with your idea to get the regulators early. That is THE piece of equipment you alway want to be the same.

I completely disagree. A regulator is basically a regulator - you breathe from it. THE piece of equipment you ALWAYS want to be the same is the exposure suit... and after that, the BC. With a different BC every time your gear config is constantly changing, and that's a PITA.. and dangerous in an emergency. Exposure suit first, BC next... and a nice small knife or shears early on. Regulator and computer can wait.

My son is going to see this thread and immediately come to me and ask why I haven't bought him a full set of gear...heh

He's been diving several months beyond cert., and has 25-30 dives or so.

(I'd better check my wallet again...)

jonnythan once bubbled...

I completely disagree. A regulator is basically a regulator - you breathe from it. THE piece of equipment you ALWAYS want to be the same is the exposure suit... and after that, the BC. With a different BC every time your gear config is constantly changing, and that's a PITA.. and dangerous in an emergency. Exposure suit first, BC next... and a nice small knife or shears early on. Regulator and computer can wait.
note - I never mentioned changing the order regarding getting the exposure suit first.

May I point out, however, that 7 people travelling with wetsuits is a lot of wetsuits and a big hassle - Sterling Diver mentioned travel specifically. Also, if you dive in a wide range of water temps, stocking up on multiple suits is prohibitively expensive.

Furthermore, I don't advocate buying a BC first, but it is probably the piece of equipment that if regularly changed will be most noticable to a diver. A reg is a reg as you said (to a degree and with the exception that you know the maintenance history on your own), but BC's come in many styles and configurations. And if you are used to a back-inflate and go somewhere that only rents jacket style, you will spend your first dive or two adjusting to it. MY BP/W will be travelling with me on all dive trips over any other piece of equipment except maybe the computer (it's small though...).

And now I think about it, a computer should come last. It is nothing more than a luxury item - a very useful one, mind you, but a luxury item nonetheless.

So now I have talked my self round in circles, let me give my revised list order:

1) Snorkling Equipment
2) Exposure Suit - unless most diving will be done on vacation trips
3) BC - can be made #4 if you haven't tried enough types to know what you want yet
4) Regulator & Gauges
5) Specialty equipment, lights, knives, etc.
6) Dive Computer
7) Weight Belt, if applicable
8) Tank

I took out gear bag because I question the need for bags specifically for carrying gear unless it is a mesh duffel which you should get as part of your snorkel gear.

mwilding once bubbled...

1) Snorkling Equipment
2) Exposure Suit - unless most diving will be done on vacation trips
3) BC - can be made #4 if you haven't tried enough types to know what you want yet
4) Regulator & Gauges
5) Specialty equipment, lights, knives, etc.
6) Dive Computer
7) Weight Belt, if applicable
8) Tank

I took out gear bag because I question the need for bags specifically for carrying gear unless it is a mesh duffel which you should get as part of your snorkel gear.

Fantastic list - and completely agree with your comment about the exposure suits. Only thing I'd change is include a cutting tool of some sort with #1... Having six people in the water without a knife between them is an accident waiting to happen, I think.

I would lose the snorkeling gear. I hate to snorkel, but that's just me. I would also lose the console...too big and sloppy.

I would buy in the following order:

1. Regs - The basis for your setup. I would get either ScubaPro or Apeks. Get a single brass pressure gauge.
2. BC - I would go with a Halcyon backplate and wing setup. Does everything you could ever want and will fit ANYONE.
3. Bottom timer - Skip the computer. Also get a wrist mounted compass.

Skip the computer. Don't get a console - heck with 7 people, that would be an abortion to pack. Go wrist mounted for everyone - you'll thank me later.

Definitely get your own wetsuits, masks and fins, along with a small knife for everyone. Don't get expensive dive knives - the DIR Betty Crocker Special is a fine choice... BC next, then a Reg and gauges...

And then realize the spending will never stop... as you get tanks and weights and lift bags and drysuits and dry gloves and .....

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom