Buying a used ladyhawk scubapro BCD would appreciate any help! :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Munnchi

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello! I'm finally looking into buying new gear! But it is quite the financial plunge.... I was looking into buying a used Ladyhawk Scubapro BCD that looks like its at 2007 or 2008 model, but there isn't very much information available out there on older models. ( I would greatly appreciate any help, recommendations or suggestions anyone is willing to give me. :)

1. I'm fairly petite at 5'1 115lbs - are there any other petite divers that have a BCD they love and recommend?
2. Has scuba pro changed their BCD's much over the years and is there a location I can find specs on a particular generation?
3. Would anyone have this particular model (photo attached below) and would be willing to give me their opinion on it

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 9.24.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 9.24.44 PM.png
    478.5 KB · Views: 218
I don't know much about that model, but a 10-year-old used BCD had better have a great price! I've been seeing daily specials on some of the online dealer websites (Leisure Pro, Dive Right In Scuba) for down to half price this season. They are new, old or discontinued stock, but you'd get a warranty and a newer BCD.

my BCD (Zeagle) is about 12 years old now. Still works fine although I have replaced the inflator ($50)

Is that a small/x-tra small? Have you tried it for fit? You sound small and there's only so much adjustment possible in any conventional bcd.

Is it possible to inflate it overnight and check it in the morning for leaks? All the velcro in good condition? What about the rubber components? (not the inflator since that can be replaced easily) like the pull dumps etc. which do deteriorate over time. And especially the bladder.

Even some of the plastic gets more brittle with long-term exposure to sun/salt water.

Scubapro does not allow their dealers as much latitude to discount as some brands so it's possible the best price you'll do is 10% off list on a new one.

I believe the Ladyhawk is built off the Knighthawk so it won't necessarily pack small for travel. Although the size will help..

As the above poster said, I hope it's a good price. I would be giving mine away - an $800 Ranger LTD for less than $100 if I get a new one. I don't think it's worth much more.

It is ten years old. Has a old style air 2 on it that needs service. Take into consideration that service will cost about $75-$100 before you use it. What is the asking price? Should be at the most $75-$100 if in excellent condition with weight pockets . Go into this knowing you may need to replace this in 4-5 years or less. Scubapro will not warranty anything on this as you are not original owner. Go to a LDS before you buy this and try on a Zeagle BCD made for woman. Then decide .

1. I'm fairly petite at 5'1 115lbs - are there any other petite divers that have a BCD they love and recommend?
2. Has scuba pro changed their BCD's much over the years and is there a location I can find specs on a particular generation?

1. This question is very subjective. Keep in mind each person's answer is simply an opinion. That opinion may not be applicable to you.
2. There are minor changes. For example, the shoulder D-rings are now more square/rectangular shaped and bent slightly out.

If you don't want the Air2 (it is a 4th Gen) you can take it off and replace it with a power inflator of your choice. Cost will be approx. $30, give or take a few dollars. Be sure to inflate the BCD and let it sit overnight to see if it holds the air inside. Check each of the dump valves to make sure they are not sticking. It looks like the weight pouches are there; do check them to ensure the zipper (maybe velcro) isn't damaged.

From the picture the BCD appears to be in decent shape. Be sure to try it on to make sure it fits and is comfortable. This BCD is good for diving in cold and warm water.

Good luck!

I don't know much about that model, but a 10-year-old used BCD had better have a great price! I've been seeing daily specials on some of the online dealer websites (Leisure Pro, Dive Right In Scuba) for down to half price this season. They are new, old or discontinued stock, but you'd get a warranty and a newer BCD.

Thank you! She's willing to sell it at $150, and says it has around 25 dives on it. I guess that is a bit higher than what i should be paying! I will definitely go try on the Zeagle! Thank you :)

It is ten years old. Has a old style air 2 on it that needs service. Take into consideration that service will cost about $75-$100 before you use it. What is the asking price? Should be at the most $75-$100 if in excellent condition with weight pockets . Go into this knowing you may need to replace this in 4-5 years or less. Scubapro will not warranty anything on this as you are not original owner. Go to a LDS before you buy this and try on a Zeagle BCD made for woman. Then decide .

Thank you so much! I feel so silly asking.. but how do what kind of pump it has on it? and if it needs service or not? The asking price was 265 but she's willing to sell it for 150. Which seems a bit higher than what i should be paying. I'll definiltey go try on a zeagle! Thank you :)

Oly was able to identify the power inflator type by its appearance. Regarding the service, on a used BCD, you really don't know if it was properly cared for after diving - if it wasn't rinsed out properly, for example, it might have a buildup of salt crystals in the inflator or dump valves that could cause serious issues when diving. Plan on getting it serviced, no matter what - but inflating it and letting is sit overnight is a good first test, just to make sure it holds air.

My daughter is nearly exactly your size. She has been diving a small Ladyhawk for many years and loves it. It has a 4th generation Air 2 on it. $150 or so sounds like a reasonable price

Oly was able to identify the power inflator type by its appearance. Regarding the service, on a used BCD, you really don't know if it was properly cared for after diving - if it wasn't rinsed out properly, for example, it might have a buildup of salt crystals in the inflator or dump valves that could cause serious issues when diving. Plan on getting it serviced, no matter what - but inflating it and letting is sit overnight is a good first test, just to make sure it holds air.

Thank you! That's super helpful! Around how much should I budget for getting a BCD serviced? or how much does it usually cost on average?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom