BSA Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wheatondiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I noticed that NCAC held a certification class this past summer. As most High Adventure activities, BSA requires the boys to be at least 14 years old.

My son was certified in 2006 when he was 10. He now has about 16 dives in various locations from near zero viz to 100+ feet viz. He is very comfortable underwater. I want him to continue to dive as a Jr. OW diver and take his AOW when he is 15 so he can dive as a non-Jr diver.

My question. When he turns 14, can he submit copies of his C-Card and dive log to earn the BSA Scuba award?

And NCAC will offer the course again in June 2008!

You need to find a scuba instructor to sign off the Scuba BSA form (or you could go to the Scout Shop and just buy the patch).

While Scuba BSA is not a BSA advancement award, I would think that in keeping with the BSA philosophy of generally NOT awarding credit for work that is done before starting on an award, that he would have to demonstrate the skills once he turns 14 (a pretty simple matter).

He could come out to our June course at Camp Snyde and demonstrate the reqs during one of our pool sessions.

Hello. Any Boy Scout who had completed the Scuba BSA requirements is eligible for the SCUBA BSA award. Boy Scouts limit scouts 14 and older for certification as a Boy Scout activity. (The key here is the words "Boy Scout Activity").

Check out the requirements and information here:
http://www.meritbadge.com/files/scubabsa.pdf
See page 3 under Scuba Safety. Your son must meet the swimming requirements that all Boy Scouts must meet for water activities, which I'm sure he has if he's a certified diver, since at least PADI swimming requirements exceed the BSA swim requirement.

Your son can get the Scuba BSA award now, if he can demonstrate the skills and get an instructor to complete the training and sign the paperwork. (Take the paperwork to his instructor and discuss it with them directly).

My son received the award prior to turning 14, because he was certified at 12 and completed the Scuba BSA paperwork and had it signed by his instructor.

You can contact me if you have any more questions. Good luck!

To add on to what Divechick said. Here is what the Guide to Safe Scouting says on diving:

The use of scuba is not authorized for a BSA unit, except so that registered Boy Scout youth and leaders may participate in the Scuba BSA program conducted by a certified dive instructor in compliance with this policy. Scuba BSA is not a diver certification program.

Scuba training programs may be a part of troop/team activities for participants who are 14 years of age or older. Members who meet the age requirement and are properly certified may participate in group dives under the supervision of a responsible adult who is currently certified as a dive master, assistant instructor, or any higher rating from NAUI, PADI, or SSI. Student divers must be under the supervision of a currently certified NAUI, PADI, or SSI instructor. No exceptions to the BSA age requirement are permitted. Scouts with a junior diver certification may dive only when accompanied by a buddy who is a certified open-water diver at least 18 years old.

Venturers
Scuba programs may be a part of Venturing activities for participants who are 14 years of age or older. Members who meet the age requirement and are properly certified may participate in group dives under the supervision of a responsible adult who is currently certified as a dive master, assistant instructor, or any higher rating from NAUI, PADI, or SSI. Student divers must be under the supervision of a currently certified NAUI, PADI, or SSI instructor. No exceptions to the BSA age requirement are permitted.

Kevin

Check out the requirements and information here:
http://www.meritbadge.com/files/scubabsa.pdf

Interesting.... in the requirements shown below (see area in BOLD) , it says you have to do this in a clear confined water ... (meaning a pool).

So to earn the BSA Scuba Badge, you have to do it in a pool? apparently open water diving is not allowed as part of this?

REQUIREMENTS
1. Before doing other requirements, successfully complete
the BSA swimmer test. To begin the test, jump
feet first into water over the head in depth, level off,
and begin swimming. Swim 75 yards in a strong manner
using one or more of the following strokes: sidestroke,
breaststroke, trudgen, or crawl; then swim 25
yards using an easy, resting backstroke. The 100 yards
must be completed in one swim without stops and
must include at least one sharp turn. After completing
the swim, rest by floating.
2. Discuss the importance of using the buddy system at
all times while scuba diving. Explain that a dive buddy
is there to assist with the donning and doffing of
equipment, to lend assistance in case of emergency
and to share in the underwater experience.
Remember, always dive with a buddy—Never dive
alone!
3. Review hazards associated with scuba diving, including
causes of decompression incidents, and safety
procedures to avoid them. Explain the importance of
never using scuba equipment unless you are enrolled
in a training exercise, or have completed a diver certification
program, taught by a certified instructor.

By the end of a Water Skills Development session,
the participants will be able to meet the
following requirements in clear, confined
water:

4. State the purpose of the following pieces of basic
diving equipment: mask, fins, BCD, BCD inflator,
regulator, air gauge and alternate air source.
5. Describe how to locate the air gauge, and explain
how to recognize the “caution zone” on it.
6. Don and adjust mask, fins, snorkel, BCD, scuba, and
weights with the assistance of a buddy, instructor,
or certified assistant.
7. While underwater, demonstrate and recognize the
following hand signals: Okay?/Okay!; Stop; Up;
Down; Out of air; Come here; Ear problem; Slow
down/Take it easy; Something is wrong; Watch me;
Check your air supply.
8. Inflate/deflate a BCD at the surface using the lowpressure
inflator.
9. In shallow water, demonstrate proper compressed
air breathing habits; remembering to breathe naturally
and not hold the breath.
10. Clear the regulator while underwater using both
exhalation and purge-button methods and resume
normal breathing from it.
11. In shallow water, recover a regulator hose from
behind the shoulder while underwater.
12. In shallow water, clear a partially flooded mask
while underwater.
13. Swim underwater with scuba equipment while
maintaining control of both direction and depth,
properly equalizing the ears and mask to accommodate
depth changes.
14. While underwater, locate and read submersible pressure
gauge and signal whether the air supply is adequate
or low based on the gauge’s caution zone.
15. In shallow water, breathe underwater for at least 30
seconds from an alternate air source supplied by the
instructor.
16. Demonstrate the techniques for a proper ascent.​

The scout doesn't have to get certified. The pool training dives cover the patch. Thats the way it reads. On the form the badge there is no place to put the scouts c card info. Just the instructors info. They are supposed to do a bsa swimmers test to start with. That part does differ from the swimming test most instructors give.

I just found it interesting that the award requirement was met while in the pool and not on an actual dive.

I understand it's not a certification, but this is like giving a camping award to a scout for setting up his tent and sleeping bag in the Gymnasium where the troop meets and him not actually having to go on a campout.

did not say pool anywhere, it said clear confined water. read it again and find pool mentioed

did not say pool anywhere, it said clear confined water. read it again and find pool mentioed

Isn't PADI's (or other agency) definition of confined water pretty much a pool?

yup... I guess it could be a tidal pool or a walled off area of a lake...

from Whats Involved With Learning to Dive?

. Confined Water Dives – This is what it’s all about – diving. You develop basic scuba skills in a pool or in a body of water with pool-like conditions. Here you’ll learn everything from setting up your gear to how to easily get water out of your mask without surfacing. You’ll also practice some emergency skills, like sharing air – just in case. Plus, you may play some games, make new friends and have a great time​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom