BSA Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While your son most likely can find an instructor to sign him off on his BSA-Scuba award, based upon his experience and certification, why not take a more Scout-like approach? How about he plan a BSA-Scuba session for his Troop? Maybe one of the LDSs in your area will agree to host the session for nada, in the expectation that some of the Scouts (not to mention their parents) will take up diving. I'm sure that his Troop would appreciate it.

-Fisheater AND Scoutmaster

Just wondering why anyone would wait till there boy is 14 to get the SCUBA BSA. If you ready carefully, any Boy Scout is eligible. I quote " While the Scuba BSA program is open to qualified participants of Boy Scout age, additional scuba training as a BSA activity is limited to those 14 or older."

To add on to what Divechick said. Here is what the Guide to Safe Scouting says on diving:

The use of scuba is not authorized for a BSA unit, except so that registered Boy Scout youth and leaders may participate in the Scuba BSA program conducted by a certified dive instructor in compliance with this policy. Scuba BSA is not a diver certification program.

Scuba training programs may be a part of troop/team activities for participants who are 14 years of age or older. Members who meet the age requirement and are properly certified may participate in group dives under the supervision of a responsible adult who is currently certified as a dive master, assistant instructor, or any higher rating from NAUI, PADI, or SSI. Student divers must be under the supervision of a currently certified NAUI, PADI, or SSI instructor. No exceptions to the BSA age requirement are permitted. Scouts with a junior diver certification may dive only when accompanied by a buddy who is a certified open-water diver at least 18 years old.

Venturers
Scuba programs may be a part of Venturing activities for participants who are 14 years of age or older. Members who meet the age requirement and are properly certified may participate in group dives under the supervision of a responsible adult who is currently certified as a dive master, assistant instructor, or any higher rating from NAUI, PADI, or SSI. Student divers must be under the supervision of a currently certified NAUI, PADI, or SSI instructor. No exceptions to the BSA age requirement are permitted.

Kevin

Scouts with a junior diver certification may dive only when accompanied by a buddy who is a certified open-water diver at least 18 years old.

I find this part interesting. I lead 4 crews to Sea Base, the BSA National camp between 95 and 98 and on all 4 trips the boys dove with each other and the two adult leaders dove together.

I find this part interesting. I lead 4 crews to Sea Base, the BSA National camp between 95 and 98 and on all 4 trips the boys dove with each other and the two adult leaders dove together.

Scuba training programs may be a part of troop/team activities for participants who are 14 years of age or older. Members who meet the age requirement and are properly certified may participate in group dives under the supervision of a responsible adult who is currently certified as a dive master, assistant instructor, or any higher rating from NAUI, PADI, or SSI. Student divers must be under the supervision of a currently certified NAUI, PADI, or SSI instructor. No exceptions to the BSA age requirement are permitted. Scouts with a junior diver certification may dive only when accompanied by a buddy who is a certified open-water diver at least 18 years old.

Venturers
Scuba programs may be a part of Venturing activities for participants who are 14 years of age or older. Members who meet the age requirement and are properly certified may participate in group dives under the supervision of a responsible adult who is currently certified as a dive master, assistant instructor, or any higher rating from NAUI, PADI, or SSI. Student divers must be under the supervision of a currently certified NAUI, PADI, or SSI instructor. No exceptions to the BSA age requirement are permitted.

As Kevin quoted the BSA policy. The certifed OW scouts may participate in scuba if under direct supervision of a DM or higher. If they are "students" they must be under a instructors supervision. If you or the other adult were the only adult divers with your group and neither one of the adults are a DM or higher, you are not diving according to BSA policies.

There's also a good chance that things have changed in BSA policy in the last 9-12 years. And as I've discovered the last time I went to Philmont, the national bases tend not to always follow the rules. For example, you can shoot 30-06 rifles at Philmont. But if you read the Guide to Safe Scouting, Scouts are only allowed to shoot single shot .22's.

Therefore, don't use what a BSA High Adventure base does as a standard of safety for your troop.

Venture scouts can shoot higiher power rifles like the 30-06. They are also allowed to hunt. Whereas Varsity scouts are not allowed to hunt.

I wasn't at Pilmont, but at Entrada here in Utah they wouldn't allow anyone under 16 shoot the 30-06 and you had to be 19 to shoot the AK-47.

Hi! Sea Base adheres to the standard requirement that any diver not yet 15 years old must dive with an adult certified diver. That is a Boy Scout requirement also. To upgrade to "Open Water Diver" from junior is to become 15 years old. No other requirements are stated. I have had crews at Sea Base with 14's that I have had dive directly as my buddys. But5 I have a certification of MSDT. That in itself lets me do things an adult with lessor ratings can not do.
I have also had crews there that have had certified current instructors as part of thier crew. That also makes things a lot easier if there are 14 year olds in the crew.
Hope this helps a bit!
Grady Hardin MSDT

mike s, as I understand it, the confined water dives (ie lack of open water dives) makes BSA Scuba akin to BSA Snorkeling in that they are both designed to offer an activity for further investigation and involvement that can take place during the winter.

Grady, you may want to note that any of the certified adults in the crew can dive with the junior open water divers (under 15).

Paul Jansen

I only pee in rental wetsuits

A couple of points to consider when deciding if an activity is appropriate. First am I, as a leader covered. Your BSA insurance will protect you (and the BSA will defend you) if you follow all the rules. If you break the rules and something happens it's on YOU. SCUBA Diving is a dangerous activity and since the press has a field day every time a Scout catches a cold at camp can you imagine what they would do with an unapproved activity where something went wrong? Scout safety is paramount and the key words are "managed risk". Be Careful!

Next, Scouting is about making boys into men of character. Teaching a boy to do the bare minimum and giving prior credit is a pretty crummy lesson to teach him. If a kid has his c-card and really is a skilled diver, what harm is there in a refresher? BSA SCUBA should be a fun activity anyway. Make the kid do it over, there is more of a lesson than just the SCUBA skills.

If you are pushing you boy to get all the patches and pins he can so that you can brag about it you are probably missing the point.

--never trust an eagle scout that can't tie a timber hitch

Buck, you're nearly correct. The key words are "risk management". The important thing to remember is that it's an active process.

Follow the Guide to Safe Scouting, which has been cited earlier in the thread. Strict adherence to the rules will save your butt.

As for crummy lessons to teach scouts... There have always been two divergent philosophies on badges. First is the attitude that the kid tried and maybe failed to meet the exact letter of the requirement but worked hard. The second is that the kid mastered every skill and could perform flawlessly. Underlying both is the central question of the point of merit badges/awards. In essence, is the point to expose a kid to something that he might like and pursue beyond basic requirements, or is the purpose to make them the master of every pursuit?

Personally, I believe that it depends on the activity. For instance, water skiing is different from leatherworking. What I mean is that with water skiing, you'll most probably be comparing a kid that has skied all his life to one that has just now grabbed a tow rope. With leatherworking, your not as likely to compare a boy who just picked up and awl to a Prada employee. As an aside, if a kid can design and build womens stilettos, he would be kick out of the organization.:spaninq:

As for BSA Scuba. I belive that the spirit of the award is to expose older scouts to an activity which might hold their interest and keep them involved with scouting into high school. Is it dangerous? Depends. Regardless, the parents and scouts should be informed of the risks.

Just my .02

Back
Top Bottom