BSA Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well said.

I agree that there is a subjective quality to advancement and awards (thank goodness, or I would not have gotten basketry!). What I protest is prior credit i.e. my kid already did that so give him the patch.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

The Scuba BSA Manual recommends clear confined water and specifically recommends a swimming pool. It also does not include an option for an open water dive. So, according to BSA, a pool is good enough to satisfy the Scuba BSA badge requirements. The idea is for the child to be exposed to scuba skills in a controlled environment. If the child desires to do an open water dive and the parent agrees, there's nothing stopping them from taking the certification course not connected with BSA.

The Scuba BSA Manual recommends clear confined water and specifically recommends a swimming pool. It also does not include an option for an open water dive. So, according to BSA, a pool is good enough to satisfy the Scuba BSA badge requirements. The idea is for the child to be exposed to scuba skills in a controlled environment. If the child desires to do an open water dive and the parent agrees, there's nothing stopping them from taking the certification course not connected with BSA.
Also, the idea is to expose the child to new experiences, like Scuba, without requiring the large financial commitment of a full certification course.

Ok. I have to chime in here.

I am a PADI instructor and have taught the BSA Scuba program.

The Official BSA Scuba is not a certification. It is an experience. They can only get the BSA scuba patch. Which is not a merit badge. The idea is to get the boys exposed to scuba in a confined water only setting. They do have to pass as BSA swimming test and meet several other requirements (someone already posted these) to get the patch. This program is open to all boy scouts provided it is done with proper supervision. (i.e. conducted by PADI, NAUI, SSI instructor)

Confined water is defined by PADI (and other agencies) as a swimming pool or somewhere that offers pool-like conditions. This means that the confinement, water calarity, depth and entry/exit are similar to a swiming pool. There are places that meet this requirement. (i.e. springs in TX , NM and Florida, possibly tidal pools in the ocean.) But for the most part, think swimming pool. (Which works as a great activity for the winter months in a heated indoor pool, we did this program for 40 scouts in 4hrs one afternoon in Jan last year.)

Now where the 14yr age limit comes in. If you are doing scuba diving as a scouting activity. (including scuba training) i.e. have some already certified kids and want to do a combined BSA campout/diving trip. The kids have to be 14+, certified and be lead by an appropriate adult professional (i.e. Instructor, AI, DM)

Now as far as signing off somones BSA scuba patch, If they come and present me with a C-Card from SSI, PADI, NAUI. I already know they have met the diving requirements for the BSA Patch, because the C-Card requirements exceed the BSA requirements. I might have the boy demonstrate a couple of the skills in a pool or test his knowlege a bit. But personally, I would have no problem signing off the BSA patch.

This is kind of like a kid presenting his swiming merit badge and asking to get the 1st or 2nd class swiming requirement signed off.

For the most part I have kept the diving out of my son's scout troop, because the BSA is so restrictive with scuba as a scouting activity. (My son and I do lots of scuba+camping outings on our own and have a blast). However, we are looking at puting together a formal aquatics program for our Venture Crew. This will include swiming, snorkeling, scuba, sailing, boating, canoeing and kayaking, water ppolo, underwater hockey, etc.

Back
Top Bottom