Equipment Gas toxicity blamed for Chinese fatality - Batangas, Philipines

This Thread Prefix is for incidents caused by equipment failures including personal dive gear, compressors, analyzers, or odd things like a ladder.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems like a combo O2/CO analyzer would be a good product if accurate not crazy expensive.

It was great. Past tense
That was the CooTwo wasn't it? It was great but the company failed. Someone was servicing them after that, but mine was beyond service. I wish someone would buy it and run it well.

So you think the report is inaccurate, so you are looking for a different reason for which there is no evidence whatsoever? What makes you think the report is inaccurate?
Based on OP's signature I suspect he might have an axe to grind.

Based on OP's signature I suspect he might have an axe to grind.
What kind of CO axe could I want to grind? It's a real risk in diving too often ignored is all. We don't know the cause for sure as the news story didn't clarify that, but the suggestion lead to discussions.

Is there any portable diver-friendly CO detector in production currently?
I use a BW Technology single gas analyzer. They're still available. I got mine from Canary Sense.

The one I use (USD $350) requires periodic calibration with CO calibration gas, but you can buy versions (USD $100) that don't require periodic calibration.

Those sensors only last 2-3 years before the sensor has to be replaced, but they're inexpensive.

BWT also makes multi-gas analyzers.

EDIT: Looks like these units do not offer real-time current gas levels, unlike the one that I bought a decade ago.

What kind of CO axe could I want to grind? It's a real risk in diving too often ignored is all. We don't know the cause for sure as the news story didn't clarify that, but the suggestion lead to discussions.
No Don. When you suggest that carbon monoxide was the cause of a diving fatality when you have no evidence whatsoever to support that contention does not lead to discussions, it only diminishes your credibility.

Discussing dive accidents is important but pointing your finger at a culprit without evidence simply because you have a cause to promote is just plain irresponsible.

The news article originally posted did mention oxygen toxicity as the cause. Guess that’s how the premise was made…

Shunyan Li, a resident of Pasay City, and his two friends were diving near Barangay Solo around 10:30 a.m. when Li encountered oxygen toxicity, the police report said.

Read more: Chinese scuba diver drowns in Batangas

Can anyone recommend an industrial gas sensor that does what we need fairly well, like a cheap BW Clip with real time gas levels? Cotoo was great but what should I buy now if I want to take this more seriously?
I’ve owned BW H2S Clips over many years for work, great at what they do, testing tanks isn’t that.

The news article originally posted did mention oxygen toxicity as the cause. Guess that’s how the premise was made…
The article said "oxygen toxicity" and defined the term. It did not say toxic gas, which is what nearly everyone in this thread is talking about. There is an enormous difference. Everyone assumes the article is wrong, and they further assume they know what the truth is.

The article said "oxygen toxicity" and defined the term. It did not say toxic gas, which is what nearly everyone in this thread is talking about. There is an enormous difference. Everyone assumes the article is wrong, and they further assume they know what the truth is.

Well it's the "oxygen tank" so if whatever's inside is toxic, you get "oxygen toxicity".

FWIW in my 1st language "oxygen" is used often enough, at least in some contexts, when every native speaking human knows it's a technically wrong colloquialism. Whether the article was translated by a native-speaking human also fluent in English, is a big if.

Well it's the "oxygen tank" so if whatever's inside is toxic, you get "oxygen toxicity".

FWIW in my 1st language "oxygen" is used often enough, at least in some contexts, when every native speaking human knows it's a technically wrong colloquialism. Whether the article was translated by a native-speaking human also fluent in English, is a big if.
Be that as it may, we can all agree that the article definitely did not mention anything about carbon monoxide poisoning.

Back
Top Bottom