Bring weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HaoleDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
So I'm getting conflicting reports here. I'm going to Coz on Sat, Staying at the El Pres, diving with Scuba Du, and wondering if I should bring my own weights (I dive a ranger ltd). Some people at the shop are saying to not worry and use the weights they have there, some are saying bring my own so I dont have to worry about gear there?

I don't think I've ever dove with Scuba Du specifically....but I can't imagine them not having weights. As long as you're not looking for anything specific (you want soft, shot weight pouches, or coated in something). They'll probably have your basic uncoated lead weights that you can put in your weight intergrated pouches or string on a belt.

Peace,
Cathie

No use in lugging your weights all the way to Cozumel if they provide the weights. Hopefully they provide soft-weights that would fit in the Ranger's weight pockets. I dive the Ranger as well, I'll be leaving the weights at home but bringing the yellow pockets. I think I'll call/email the dive op that I'll be using in Mid-May to see what they have onsite, perhaps that's not a bad idea for you. Have fun

Mel
PADI Rescue Diver

I've never heard of a Coz dive op NOT providing weights. No need to bring yours. Bring your yellow Zeagle pouches and your good to go.

Ditto above.

dnhill

Scuba Du will have weights. Just don't count on soft weights being available.

Scuba Du is a nice, safe operation, but if you have good air consumption you might get a different operator to pick you up at the Presidente docks. My last dives with Scuba Du were a couple years ago, so they may have changed, but at that time their standard way of operating was "when 1st diver is low on air, everyone ascends"

Dove with them several times, they have plenty of lead

There will always be hard, uncoated weights available at every dive shop and on every boat for rent, usually free.

If you want shot weights, you need to bring your own. But do not pack them into your luggage because they will trigger the density alert. Put them into your pouch weight belt, and strap the weight belt around your carry-on. Then take the belt off the carry on and put it on the conveyor separately when you go thru security. Then you will not be asked to unpack your carry-on because of them.

I use 14 lbs with an aluminum tank or 8 lbs for steel. Most rentals are aluminum, however.

tanks and weights as a standard part of the service.

However, soft weights are usually not available if that is important to you. Standard lead weights are fine in most weight integrated systems.

Thanks for the input. I figure with the weight pouches in my ranger, as long as I get some sort of solid lead I'm good to, so I'll leave the softies at home and save a few pounds in my luggage.

Thanks for not going off on tangents about wine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom