Breathing the gas from your BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok makes sense but it's not common practice, it's more work and tanks falling out of BCDs isn't an every day thing.
But it only hast to happen once to make an impression. I was doing a little pre-certification dive off of Boca Raton Florida in 45FSW and noticed something "hovering" over my head...well(explicative) that would be my tank and 1st stage. Haven't made that mistake again in 30 years.

A hypothetical scenario where I might recycle the breaths inside my BCD to try to save my life would be going deep inside a deep wreck on a single AL80, getting lost and draining the tank. With no other option I'd recycle the air in my bcd until I either found my way out and surfaced, ran into an alternate air source such as another diver, or passed out and drowned.
Somewhere around the 3rd breath the % inspired CO2 would be so ridiculous you'd lose consciousness.

It is common enough that how to reinsert (while underwater) a loose tank into the cam straps got included in the PADI OW course in 2017.

SHES GONNA DIE.jpg

Because the tank cam straps stretch when they get wet...it is why tanks get loose.
I guess my single Scubapro Super Cinch tank band does not stretch. I have never gotten it wet before putting it on my tank. So far, so good, 2,348 dives :)

A hypothetical scenario where I might recycle the breaths inside my BCD to try to save my life would be going deep inside a deep wreck on a single AL80, getting lost and draining the tank. With no other option I'd recycle the air in my bcd until I either found my way out and surfaced, ran into an alternate air source such as another diver, or passed out and drowned.
In other words, the only conceivable occasion is when you are fully OOA in an overhead but within, say, 50 feet of an exit.

"So how long could you breathe from your BCD if you had to?"

"Rest of my life."

If you had to "suck" air out of your BC to empty your BC from air, something is wrong with your technique and your buoyancy/weight. I have done negative entries/hot drops many, many times and I've NEVER ever had to suck air out of my BC. I mean NEVER in my 50 years of diving. I would not do it.

It is common enough that how to reinsert (while underwater) a loose tank into the cam straps got included in the PADI OW course in 2017.
LOL, is that so? I really didn't know that.

Makes sense.. Tanks falling out of BC's on openwater/tourist dives is probably one of the most common emergencies a DM will see.

Only in 2017? My OW instructor taught that in 1996.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom