Breathing the gas from your BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my first reaction was that this had to be a miscommunication.

from reading some of the comments it seems some divers actually do this.

i personally have never heard of anyone doing this, and have never been asked to do this. further, i see no point in doing it.

i understand the request to do a "hot drop" under certain circumstances. but there is no need to literally use your mouth the suck every last drop of air out of your wing or bcd.

if for some reason you feel the need to make sure the bladder is completely empty, why not just submerge it in the water while holding open the deflate valve before you assemble your gear? that will push all remaining gas out.

our shop teaches students to wet their bcd straps anyway before assembling their gear, so it would be quite simple.

as far as the other topic of breathing gas from a bcd in an emergency......if it came down to it, i think the last thought in your mind right before you pass out would not be whether you might get a lung infection if you were to take in some of the gas in your bladder. but lets try to make sure it doesn't come to that.

As if SCUBA wasn't kinky enough, now we're taking pre-dive bong rips off the BCD?

Fun fact: if you belong on a 'negative entry' dive, you then don't need a negative entry. You just need skills & experience in promptly descending in the right direction.

Noob customers/DMs go ahead and blow your eardrums out while flailing around at ~2 metres, I'm already waiting for you at the bottom...

my first reaction was that this had to be a miscommunication.

Absolutely not.

our shop teaches students to wet their bcd straps anyway before assembling their gear.

Why? Unnecessary work.

i think the last thought in your mind right before you pass out would not be whether you might get a lung infection

Yes as a last resort prior to dying it's an option.

I've done numerous hot drops. I've never needed to do more than physically squeeze remaining residual air from my bcd prior to donning. Then drop at appropriate time, blowing as I go.

Smh

This has been a frequent discussion on SB as I am sure you know. To my knowledge there has been 1 documented case of infection from breathing from BCD over the history of scuba diving.

Taking a breath from the BCD for a good negative entry was something I was told diving WPB Florida many years ago and maybe a few times since. For the average diver it is totally unnecessary. Just give the BCD a good squeeze with the vent/valve open.

But would I do it in an emergency or truly needed for descent? On my own BCD absolutely. No worries. On a rental? Only for a true emergency.

I was taught this life saving procedure by my BSAC instructor who was also a commercial dive instructor. Basically a last resort if you are separated from a dive buddy or other tanks where you need to get to the surface. Keep yourself alive was the motto. I have brought this up on SB.

One freak death from a guy who breathed from a moldy BCD, his own.

As a last resort with myself being in a out of air situation , breathing off my buoyancy compensator instead of dying makes good sense to me . Been there done that Rumdumb
This has been discussed many times on ScubaBoard. It is hard to conceive of a scenario where this makes sense. If you are OOA in the open water and have no alternate air source available, then your choices are the CESA or the buoyant ascent. Both of them call for you to be exhaling all the way to the surface.

Back
Top Bottom