Breathing from a 30ft. snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Disclaimer* This is an idea that came to mind while reading the thread. I don't know that it will properly illustrate the point.

Bring a water bottle down to 33 feet, open it squeeze out all of the water then bring it to your lips and try to inflate it to re-expand it to it's normal shape. I believe this should be of similar difficulty to trying to inflate your lungs at that depth.

When I saw your original post, I thought it was a joke.

Then when I saw you were serious, I answered. And yeah, you pushed a button to suggest I could not answer the question.

As to my open water and science class comments, ok. I understand this not being retained from high school, but this is basic open water training stuff. Sorry

It was your instructor who let you down.

I'm not playing anymore with you Splitlip. And for your information, I have a lot of respect for my ow instructors. I don't feel a bit "let down" because we didn't have a discussion on sucking air through a 30 ft. snorkel.
Oh.....I'm sorry I "pushed your button" to suggest that you couldn't answer the question (LOL)
Can we end this thread now?

*Disclaimer* This is an idea that came to mind while reading the thread. I don't know that it will properly illustrate the point.

Bring a water bottle down to 33 feet, open it squeeze out all of the water then bring it to your lips and try to inflate it to re-expand it to it's normal shape. I believe this should be of similar difficulty to trying to inflate your lungs at that depth.

Not sure that's quite the same actually. I have a safety sausage I manually inflate at 33 feet for ascents into high boat traffic areas and I can blow it up just fine:)

With the water bottle example the air in your lungs is already pressurized to 33 feet (I am assuming you are breathing on a regulator and didn't freedive to 33 feet before you tried to blow up the bottle) so it should be the same as blowing up same said bottle on the surface, since the net pressure is the same(2 atm in your lungs and on the bottle vs 1 atm pressure on your lungs and bottle at surface)...I could easily be wrong tho Ive never tried it with a bottle but I would think it would be the same as a sausage!

Makes sense that you are correct on that. Thanks!

BTW, Is it a requirement on SB to have serious questions all of the time?
Bob
If it was this board would have like 5 threads on it
Oh come on. What Kind of question is this LOL.

This is not even worthy of a response.

He's jerking our chains.

I think in the original post he stated that is was just an odd thought.
When I was in college we used to sit around all the time coming up with crazy questions. Of course we wern't exactly in the right state of mind:wacko:

Makes sense that you are correct on that. Thanks!

Well,I thought squeezing the water out of a bottle and trying to reinflate it made sense until I read Mooney's post!
BC

You should have no trouble expanding the bottle. The air in your lungs is at ambient having been delivered from the regulator.

A better analogy would be to blow up a balloon that has a resistive force of 28 psi on the surface.

If I recall correctly, most people can't blow more than about 5-6 psi of pressure.

Hmm I learn something new today lol. 33ft I can see but our lungs having a hard time in just a few feet down is something I never knew.

when I was a young kid in a pool with a 10 foot section of PVC pipe I learned the hard way that this is impossible! when I put my mouth on the pipe I immediately had all of the air I had pushed from my lungs so fast it hurt and I actually stopped swimming that day. so it is impossible!

when I was a young kid in a pool with a 10 foot section of PVC pipe I learned the hard way that this is impossible! when I put my mouth on the pipe I immediately had all of the air I had pushed from my lungs so fast it hurt and I actually stopped swimming that day. so it is impossible!

As a kid I tried it with ~3 feet of PCV..... Tried to exhale and 'whoosh' the contents of my lungs was very forcibly expelled, like someone sat on my chest :shocked2:
Immediate scramble for the surface!

Natures way of protecting us from CO2 buildup? :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom