BP/W use dependent on level of diving expertise????? Help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's an "SEU"?

My wife and I both purchased a halcyon bp/w combo for our first set of gear. She had 5 dives in when she first started using hers and adapted quickly. In fact she couldn't believe that they don't teach in that gear as it was so much more comfortable and fit a lot better. Being a small person she found it impossible to snug up the jacket type bcd tight enough to fit her properly. She had the BP/W adjusted and fit properly after playing with it for 20 minutes at home before the first dive with it.

The fact that you'll drop another 6-8 lbs (at leas)t only adds to it.
drop it off the weight belt and add it on to your back...what are you really losing? Where does this become a plus, just curious as everyone keeps spilling it out as an advantage. I just see it as moving weight from one place to another (I understand that it helps trim) but doesn't really reduce weight. Please don't jump me, I'm just trying to figure this one out.
Thanks,
jason

It's just nice. Balances you out more. One less piece of crap to haul along. One less thing to put on when you are gearing up. Every little bit helps. After getting rid of ankle weights and my weight belt, it's two less things I have to worry about to go diving. I love it.

bubble blower:
drop it off the weight belt and add it on to your back...what are you really losing? Where does this become a plus, just curious as everyone keeps spilling it out as an advantage. I just see it as moving weight from one place to another (I understand that it helps trim) but doesn't really reduce weight. Please don't jump me, I'm just trying to figure this one out.
Thanks,
jason

Not sure if this is the answer to your question but:
Most of us that have gone from traditional style jacket or back inflate bcd's to a BP/W have managed to drop weight off our setup. In my case going from a Ranger to BP/W I dropped 10 lbs.

bubble blower:
Thanks,
jason

BB,

Many Jackets are in fact several lbs positive, full of foam pads and other gas trapping nooks. The basic BP&W traps no air. This is where quite a few lbs can be lost. Improved trim, as mentioned is also a plus.

Take the typical jacket, bleed all the air from the BC, and throw in the pool. Watch it bob around. Do the same thing with an empty BP&W and it goes to the bottom.

Regards,

Tobin

TheDivingPreacher:
We got your meaning but I think you were 90° off :eyebrow:

LOL! Great one! That's a big oops but I fixed it. :)

bubble blower:
Thanks,
jason

You loose the weight all together. You drop the weight and say bye bye to it. You will dive with 6-10 lbs LESS all together NOT relocate it. Most BP/W users start with a 6lb back plate and go from there.

Okay, I got it know. Thanks for the insight guys. Again, I wasn't trying to start a flame war just trying to figure this all out. Your posts have been more than helpful.

jason

overexposed2X:
Not sure if this is the answer to your question but:
Most of us that have gone from traditional style jacket or back inflate bcd's to a BP/W have managed to drop weight off our setup. In my case going from a Ranger to BP/W I dropped 10 lbs.

Same here, 10lbs. That's a bunch of weight and you feel the difference BIG time underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom