BP/W use dependent on level of diving expertise????? Help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

badmojo:
My wife and I both purchased a halcyon bp/w combo for our first set of gear. She had 5 dives in when she first started using hers and adapted quickly. In fact she couldn't believe that they don't teach in that gear as it was so much more comfortable and fit a lot better. Being a small person she found it impossible to snug up the jacket type bcd tight enough to fit her properly. She had the BP/W adjusted and fit properly after playing with it for 20 minutes at home before the first dive with it.

Awesome! That's what I'm talking about. Your first set of gear is a Halcyon Rig! You rock. You saved a ton of money believe me! I owned several bulky expensive BC's before I found out about BP/W's. All this time all I would have needed to do was buy some new webbing. You are smart, lucky and you both own cool rigs.

NWGratefulDiver:
It took her a couple of dives to make the adjustments from the jacket-style inflation, but after about six dives she told me it was really a lot easier diving with the backplate, and asked me to sell her Diva.
My wife Linda also recently switched from a Diva LX to a Halcyon 27# singles setup. She hated the Diva, complaining about it our entire time in Bonaire. On the last day of diving she asked me to "Get me one like yours!", so I did.
icosm14.gif

We went to Pureto Vallarta and did some diving in July. After the very first dive, she got out of the water and immediately started talking about how much better she liked the BP/w over a jacket BC. The funniest thing about it all was that I had tried to manage expectations, telling her that she might find it hard to get in and out of, uncomfortable on land, etc. She had none of those issues, and much to my chagrin was (and is) able to get in and out of the thing better than me!

I bought my Halcyon as my first (and so far only) BC purchase right after getting certified. I can't recommend it any higher, I say go for it!

Jimmie

Thanks again to all who have posted on this thread. It has been very helpful. I am definitely going to be checking out the BP/W rigs.

Rosa

Any BC with a wing type bladder will float you face down. The jacket type BCs are many times recommended for beginners because they float you head up and vertical. But if you understand the difference and want to try, why not? I do most surface swimms on my back without a snorkle and a back inflation system works well for that as it puts al thefloat under you.

Divegirl412:
What is the general opinion on level of experience affecting the use of BP/W set ups? Should I really stay away from them simply because I am a newbie?

Rosa

Ease of Use?

I went on a 3 tank dive in San Diego this morning with a newer BP/W. I slipped it on - presto - done. Other divers with jackets and back inflate were twisting and contorting to get them on, adjust, etc. There is nothing easier. Underwater - perfect. On the surface - no riding up your shoulder. Perfect. They're perfect.

Did I say they were perfect?

ChrisA:
Any BC with a wing type bladder will float you face down.

Not mine. Dive a steel tank and it'll drag you over on your back.

BP/Ws are no better or worse for a beginner than a standard BC or a back-inflate.

And, just about all BCs will float you in a different position every time, depending on location of gear and type of tank. There is zero guarantee that any non-PFD floatation device will keep you head up.

For what it's worth, using the same gear my buddy floated face down and I was vertical at the surface - maybe I had less air in the wing - but it worked great for me. Neither of us had trouble with it though.

Tim

Divegirl412:
Thanks again to all who have posted on this thread. It has been very helpful. I am definitely going to be checking out the BP/W rigs.

Rosa

Rosa,

One thing I didn't see mentioned is an ABS or Kydex backplate. They are much, much lighter to be dragging around.

Deep Sea Supply makes one in Kydex, and the fittings to use it with singles. Tobin George is quite willing to chat with you and give good advice about that kind of system. The harness is so comfortable, it is absolutely "HEAVEN". (I have one!)

Try:

http://www.deepseasupply.com

Cheers!

gr8white:
Ease of Use?

I went on a 3 tank dive in San Diego this morning with a newer BP/W. I slipped it on - presto - done. Other divers with jackets and back inflate were twisting and contorting to get them on, adjust, etc. There is nothing easier. Underwater - perfect. On the surface - no riding up your shoulder. Perfect. They're perfect.

Did I say they were perfect?

:D

Back
Top Bottom