BP/W use dependent on level of diving expertise????? Help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After a very interesting discussion I'm having on a related thread, I would like to put in my two cents about shoulder dumps. Until today I just assumed that everybody had one. But some BP/Wing rigs don't. Maybe I just have bad luck both personally and professionally, but my experiences would heartily endorse that all new divers avoid rigs lacking a shoulder dump, unless they're good with horizontal trim and/or familiar with venting via rear dumps. That would be the vast majority of new divers, alas.

I also just like saying "dumps". ha ha.

You mean a remote shoulder dump? It's really not necessary. The rear dump does the job fine, and none of the higher quality rigs have a right-shoulder remote dump, so this would seriously limit a persons options. Besides, why not leave out a feature and force the user to have proper trim and learn some useful techniques?

lamont:
Not mine. Dive a steel tank and it'll drag you over on your back.

BP/Ws are no better or worse for a beginner than a standard BC or a back-inflate.
Proper trim. Two 2# weight pouches on the lower tank band and presto. Upright at surface...horizontal at depth...that's what I'm talking.....perfect! Add the weight integrated pouches it is even better than perfect. I think I shall marry it. No, on second thought, it can't do that. Hmmmm, but it doesn't complain and talk back. Yep....It's Perfect.

teknitroxdiver:
You mean a remote shoulder dump?
Well, any shoulder dump would do. Preferably, the left pull dump attached to the inflator. It's been brought to my attention that Halcyon rigs don't have shoulder dumps, right OR left, and many of the DiveRite and OxyCheq ones don't either. Not the greatest idea with the vast majority of divers that ascend/descend vertically, unless you have absolute faith in your inflator mechanism. I don't.

BigJetDriver69:
Rosa,

One thing I didn't see mentioned is an ABS or Kydex backplate. They are much, much lighter to be dragging around.

I can't see going plastic on the plate. You just have to add 6 more pounds to your belt and drag that around and it won't help with the trim. Stick with the steel plate. It works better.

Yeah, but if you really feel like you need to go up vertically, you can just hold the hose up when you need to dump air.

gr8white:
BigJetDriver69:
Rosa,

One thing I didn't see mentioned is an ABS or Kydex backplate. They are much, much lighter to be dragging around.

From Gr8white:

I can't see going plastic on the plate. You just have to add 6 more pounds to your belt and drag that around and it won't help with the trim. Stick with the steel plate. It works better.

Perhaps you did not have a chance to read Rosa's original post. She only wears eight pounds now. She certainly does not need to add a six pound plate to the equation. ABS or Kydex will work well for her.

teknitroxdiver:
Yeah, but if you really feel like you need to go up vertically, you can just hold the hose up when you need to dump air.

Er... yes, of course. That's not an issue with a properly functioning inflator. Now imagine ascending with the inflator hose held up ready to vent air, you push the button... and nothing happens. That's an inflator failure. What's your new inexperienced diver likely to do now?

Having had it happen with one of my students, I'll tell you. I grabbed her shoulder dump and yanked on it. If that pull dump wasn't there, I'd have had to either hold her down throughout the ascent, or reposition her to make use of the rear dump.

So long as most new divers learn to do ascents vertically, I'll keep them away from BCD's that lack shoulder dumps. I would argue that other instructors and experienced divers should advise the same.

The BP/W is the last BC you'll buy... You might end up getting another wing for different types of diving down the road if you so chose. but that's it. The BP/W are the most streamlined way to go, as well as the most versitile. What other BC will let you change from a single 63cu.ft. to twin 130's for only the cost of a wing?... Hm, maybe that' why the LDS would prefer you in a different type... just thinking out loud:)
With most of the wings, if need be, you'd be able to replace the inside aircell in the unlikley event of a puncture ($100.) weigh that with a total replacement for either of the above reasons.
Do the BP/W if that's the way you're leaning.
DSAO
Dan.

archman:
Er... yes, of course. That's not an issue with a properly functioning inflator. Now imagine ascending with the inflator hose held up ready to vent air, you push the button... and nothing happens. That's an inflator failure. What's your new inexperienced diver likely to do now?

Having had it happen with one of my students, I'll tell you. I grabbed her shoulder dump and yanked on it. If that pull dump wasn't there, I'd have had to either hold her down throughout the ascent, or reposition her to make use of the rear dump.

So long as most new divers learn to do ascents vertically, I'll keep them away from BCD's that lack shoulder dumps. I would argue that other instructors and experienced divers should advise the same.

Seems to be some confusion here.Wings do not have a PULL dump (failure point and not needed) they DO have a regular deflate button on the inflator hose

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom