BP/W use dependent on level of diving expertise????? Help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divegirl412

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Going through the BC agony again. :06: My sherwood luna failed horribly in Roatan. I really did get suckered there. Knew impulse buys were BAD!!! Oh well. Learning experience. Has no lift. Spent half my SURFACE TIME UNDERWATER. Would recommend it to no-one but a child (of course, being tiny, I do have the XS, but NO lift, 18lbs does not cut it, even just wearing 8-lbs). And no, that is NOT overweighting for me. After all the discussion re BC and BP/W, decided to check out the BP/W set-up.

I have reviewed several threads in this forum re BP/W set-ups and jacket BCDs.

Went to my LDS today, and was essentially told that BP/W is overkill for my level...., true, I have been diving less than a year and don't plan tech diving anytime soon. However, I get the impression that the BP/W are more adaptable, easier to "grow with" and liberating. I travel a lot and checked out the info re aluminum plates versus steel etc. I did check out the Lady Hawk and Divas as well. They all have lots of pros and some cons.

What is the general opinion on level of experience affecting the use of BP/W set ups? Should I really stay away from them simply because I am a newbie?

Thanks for any helpful opinions. I would hate to make another mistake!!!

Rosa

IMO, the only thing you should consider when thinking about buying something, anything, is: Is it worth it?

Does your LDS sell bp/w? (if not then stop listening to them).
If you can, I think you should try whatever piece of gear you´re interested in, in the water.

As to your question:
Should I really stay away from them [BP/W] simply because I am a newbie?
-My answer would be a resounding no!

I also think, a BP/w is easier to take with you on travels so that´s a plus to...

Divegirl412:
Going through the BC agony again. :06: My sherwood luna failed horribly in Roatan. I really did get suckered there. Knew impulse buys were BAD!!! Oh well. Learning experience. Has no lift. Spent half my SURFACE TIME UNDERWATER. Would recommend it to no-one but a child (of course, being tiny, I do have the XS, but NO lift, 18lbs does not cut it, even just wearing 8-lbs). And no, that is NOT overweighting for me. After all the discussion re BC and BP/W, decided to check out the BP/W set-up.

Went to my LDS today, and was essentially told that BP/W is overkill for my level...., true, I have been diving less than a year and don't plan tech diving anytime soon. However, I get the impression that the BP/W are more adaptable, easier to "grow with" and liberating. I travel a lot and checked out the info re aluminum plates versus steel etc. I did check out the Lady Hawk and Divas as well. They all have lots of pros and some cons.

What is the general opinion on level of experience affecting the use of BP/W set ups? Should I really stay away from them simply because I am a newbie?

Thanks for any helpful opinions. I would hate to make another mistake!!!

Rosa

I'd say go for it. If you buy the right sort of setup now you won't have to replace it as your skills and interests grow or until you move to doubles. I've never looked back since going this route.

If it helps I my first 5 cert dives in a jacket bcd, then switched to my own BP/Wing after that - I love it and am up to 8 dives so far (so definitely a newbie) I hope I don't have to use a jacket again. And regarding lift - I have a 27lb lift wing and wear 8 lbs lead, plus a 6 lb backplate. I'm a big guy too (6ft 250+) and the lift is very adequate.

Tim

P.S. at least your LDS knew what a bp/wing was . . . I went to one and after seeing a set of doubles on a bp on display commented that "Backplates are kind of unusual to see around here" to which the clerk said "a what?" oh well . . .she didn't know what doubles were either until I showed her what she was selling - lol

Thanks for the replies. Yes, my LDS does sell the Halcyon BP/W. After showing me the regular BCs, she did finally show me the Halcyons, since I had researched them and asked for them. I was just left questioning my decision a bit after that reaction.

kidspot:
If it helps I my first 5 cert dives in a jacket bcd, then switched to my own BP/Wing after that - I love it and am up to 8 dives so far (so definitely a newbie) I hope I don't have to use a jacket again. And regarding lift - I have a 27lb lift wing and wear 8 lbs lead, plus a 6 lb backplate. I'm a big guy too (6ft 250+) and the lift is very adequate.

Tim

P.S. at least your LDS knew what a bp/wing was . . . I went to one and after seeing a set of doubles on a bp on display commented that "Backplates are kind of unusual to see around here" to which the clerk said "a what?" oh well . . .she didn't know what doubles were either until I showed her what she was selling - lol

DiveGirl,

No, a BP/W is not "too advanced" for your level of diving. What does a jacket style or back inflate style of BC do that a BP/W doesn't do, other than wrap you in swaddling clothes of superfluous material?
Get what you want.

bp/w are not tech gear. You could do an ow class it, so i say go for it.

since your lds seems to disagree with us, I'd un your purchase past us before you get it, to make sure you are bing sold the right size stuff, etc.

Divegirl412:

Went to my LDS today, and was essentially told that BP/W is overkill for my level....,

Its actually underkill.

Divegirl412:
Going through the BC agony again. :06: My sherwood luna failed horribly in Roatan.........

Rosa

May I suggest something else?

Try the Orion from www.triple-l.biz
http://store.triple-l.biz/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=60

It is escentially a bp/w configuration but with an integrated weight pockets.
You can use the integrated weight pockets or you can remove it to have a more streamline harness.

And get this, the whole setup is less than $150 !!!!

This is a nice transition from full body bcd to bp/w setup.

Again, it is a wing setup so you have the effect of the wing. You can try it and once get efficient in this setup, go get the real bp/w.

I bought the Orion and loving it.
Charles

Like others have already said, go get one!

I bought mine after 10 dives or so with a regular back inflate. I've never regretted it or looked back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom