BP/W - APEKS vs Oxycheq

BP/W - APEKS vs Oxycheq

• Oxycheq

Votes: 18 62.1%
  • Apeks

Votes: 11 37.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Oxycheq and it is virtually indestruable and very streamline. It is rigid but I just place it flat in the bottom of my carry on and have no issues with travel.

And with the roll control built into the wing you may not need your STA saving you another few lbs.

the aluminum plate will only reduce the total rig weight by about 3lbs, so it's not going to make that much of a difference. Regarding the sinking like a rock, you may be a pound or two overweighted, but unless you are incredibly negatively buoyant naturally or are using steel tanks, the aluminum plates aren't going to greatly benefit you. I will say that the DSS is going to be lighter to travel with and the plate will be more durable than either of them and about $50 cheaper than the Apeks rig you were offered. The Kydex plates from DSS are properly sexy

Where is local for you?
I am incredibly negatively buoyant.

The rig weights does make a difference when traveling throughout the region for me. I am in Singapore.

I am sure that DSS is a great rig. Unfortunately, I've never seen it out here nor do I get a chance to test it out. Don't get me wrong, I would not hesitate to get a DSS if I was back in the US. But I like to get a touch and feel for equipment before I make the purchase. But then again, assuming I don't get the setup before I get back home, I just might give Tobin a jingle and see how it goes.

Tks for your input though. Much appreciated!

If you are negative buoyant, dive tropical and travel a lot, have you considered soft backplates and a smaller wing ? Oxycheq and Apeks both sell them. I have and like the Oxy softplate. The Apeks is usually more expensive, but has attachment holes if you wanted to strap other items onto the plate.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this thread and came back to it because I realized I have never had any bad gear from any of these three manufacturers (Apeks/Aqualung, DSS, & Oxycheq). That is not faint praise from someone as hard on gear as I am. I do have a DSS BP/W that is very nice, well made, and intelligently innovative in several ways, but I know it doesn't fit your (OP) parameters. My question (thread hijack alert) is why is the DSS OPV so much better? Recently had a not DSS OPV stick open on three occasions over 2 consecutive dives prompting me to shim it up to "fix it", then promptly had an open coldwater experience @ 90+ ft that could have been a disaster with another such failure. So I was wondering what the difference is....?

I have lost OPV twice in my dive career on two different wing, Oxycheq MkV and Halcyon Evolve. Once I DSS on my Oxycheq (I no longer have), and DGX on Evolve. I wasn't able to notice any differences. Of course I no longer have the DSS OPV, maybe I missed something.

I was thinking about this thread and came back to it because I realized I have never had any bad gear from any of these three manufacturers (Apeks/Aqualung, DSS, & Oxycheq). That is not faint praise from someone as hard on gear as I am. I do have a DSS BP/W that is very nice, well made, and intelligently innovative in several ways, but I know it doesn't fit your (OP) parameters. My question (thread hijack alert) is why is the DSS OPV so much better? Recently had a not DSS OPV stick open on three occasions over 2 consecutive dives prompting me to shim it up to "fix it", then promptly had an open coldwater experience @ 90+ ft that could have been a disaster with another such failure. So I was wondering what the difference is....?

@cool_hardware52 custom molds them and they are designed to use a thicker line which prevents them from getting stuck. They are just so much easier to manipulate, it really is a night and day difference between the cheap molded opv's and these things

If you are negative buoyant, dive tropical and travel a lot, have you considered soft backplates and a smaller wing ? Oxycheq and Apeks both sell them. I have and like the Oxy softplate. The Apeks is usually more expensive, but has attachment holes if you wanted to strap other items onto the plate.
Not a big fan of the softplate. Just a personal preference.

Yes, I had a close up look at an Apeks wing and it does indeed use a proprietary dump valve, I instantly turned away. I've been using Oxys for over 10 years, had one problem when the inflator hose elbow snapped off, it looked like bad manufacturing as the plastic just crumbled in my hands, it was new. CA sent me a new elbow FOC. Other than that no issues at all. I'd recommend them. As for plates, they are more similar than not. I use AGIR because they are heavier at 2.8kgs and 5.1 kgs, I also like the satin finishes as it doesn't scratch so easily. I also use AGIR STAs, I like them because they use 8mm threads, hard to find non metric over here, and have two sets of top cam band slots, I know some others do also.

Last edited:
Are your choices limited to these two brands only? I have an Oxycheq wing, which is OK, but it mostly sits around collecting dust. I have a Halcyon wing that I much prefer over the Oxycheq. The Halcyon is much nicer in the water, and the quality is second to none. While I like Apeks regs very much, their wings don't look like anything I'd want.

Are your choices limited to these two brands only? I have an Oxycheq wing, which is OK, but it mostly sits around collecting dust. I have a Halcyon wing that I much prefer over the Oxycheq. The Halcyon is much nicer in the water, and the quality is second to none. While I like Apeks regs very much, their wings don't look like anything I'd want.
I was pretty dead set on the Oxycheq until the Apeks came along. That is why I decided to post the question.

Halcyon is not bad. But from a value perspective, it is a bit overpriced.

ADEX is coming up in a couple of weeks. If I don't get a set of Oxycheq then, I will just wait until my trip back to the US and check out DSS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom