BP/W - APEKS vs Oxycheq

BP/W - APEKS vs Oxycheq

• Oxycheq

Votes: 18 62.1%
  • Apeks

Votes: 11 37.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CarcharodonCarcharias

Contributor
Reaction score
Just want to get an opinion on what all you experts think.

Same set up: 30# wing and AL plate for warm water diving.

Looking for inputs/opinions on which brand is a better quality and build, higher comfort level, and pros/cons.

Personally I am leaning Oxycheq since it is made in the US (MAGA - I kid, I kid). But I am partial to support the home economy.

The Apeks wing certainly looks to have a non-standard dump valve, which would prevent you from replacing it with the very nice one from DSS. There was a discussion about this on the Apeks forum not too long ago. The hose is overly long too, again probably with non-standard fittings. I voted for the Oxycheq.

The Apeks wing certainly looks to have a non-standard dump valve, which would prevent you from replacing it with the very nice one from DSS. There was a discussion about this on the Apeks forum not too long ago. The hose is overly long too, again probably with non-standard fittings. I voted for the Oxycheq.
I've noticed that as well. I was told that it is a proprietary dump valve system and the hose is made specifically by Apeks because it is different from the regular rubber or miflex hose.

Last edited:
how and why did you narrow it down to those two?

@rongoodman I agree on the OPV, I have them on everything I own, but I'd prefer the whole DSS rig for warm water travel. It's also made in the USA, and has a better overall design than either of them imho

If I have to pick, I will pick oxycheq. I chose it once. It was arguably the toughest build wing out there, it is also the most streamline single wing for the giving capacity. Over Apeks is because using standard parts is important for me.

But I eventually sold my oxycheq because it is not a good travel wing. The outer shell is way to thick and stiff. It doesn't pack well at all. I am willing to give up a little toughness for usability.

how and why did you narrow it down to those two?

@rongoodman I agree on the OPV, I have them on everything I own, but I'd prefer the whole DSS rig for warm water travel. It's also made in the USA, and has a better overall design than either of them imho

Possibly looking to get another setup. Got the DRIS setup when I started diving. I will probably keep that as the cold water setup given that it is SS plate and I am negatively buoyant. So lately I've been looking around to get another rig for warm water diving.

I know what DSS and Tobin have nothing but rave reviews. But I would like to get something that I can get locally. So I am limited to the usual suspects: DR, Hollis, Halcyon and etc,. I really like the design of Oxycheq and how sturdy the wings are. I was offered a brand new Apeks 30# set up with AL plate for $548 USD (with the current exchange rate), so I figure I will ask for some expert opinions.

The plate and STA combined is about 6 lbs. So that does make a difference unfortunately - especially using my dive and roll bag. All flights not originating from the US only allow one luggage and no heavier than 44 lbs. Also, I sink like a rock (usually the fastest one while descending) even with the lightest fins. So just looking to ease the load.

The plate and STA combined is about 6 lbs. So that does make a difference unfortunately - especially using my dive and roll bag. All flights not originating from the US only allow one luggage and no heavier than 44 lbs. Also, I sink like a rock (usually the fastest one while descending) even with the lightest fins. So just looking to ease the load.

the aluminum plate will only reduce the total rig weight by about 3lbs, so it's not going to make that much of a difference. Regarding the sinking like a rock, you may be a pound or two overweighted, but unless you are incredibly negatively buoyant naturally or are using steel tanks, the aluminum plates aren't going to greatly benefit you. I will say that the DSS is going to be lighter to travel with and the plate will be more durable than either of them and about $50 cheaper than the Apeks rig you were offered. The Kydex plates from DSS are properly sexy

Where is local for you?

Back
Top Bottom