Boynton Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello, thanks for reading this. Hey, it was Friday the 13th! Here's the dive report for 2/13/04. Seas were flat, the water was 75 degrees, vis was kind crappy, around 45'. The first dive we did was Black Condo in reverse, 'cause there was a slight South current. There was a nurse shark, a spotted morray and millions of fish (whenever the vis drops off it seems like there's alot more fish). There was a french angelfish fight going on too. There wasn't any really spectacular stuff today, but it was a really relaxing, very nice dive.
The second dive was Briney Breezes by request. Again, really fishy very relaxing, very nice. Nothing wierd or spectacular, just nice.
As a special Friday the 13th treat, here's a third dive: The third dive was made in the intracostal waterway at the Banana Boat restaurant. Visability was 1-2' water temp: 73. Notables included the pair of glasses that the guy who hired me to dive dropped. I guess I was pretty notable too though, trapesing through the Banana Boat with all my gear on. Anyway, I found the guy's glasses. As soon as I surfaced another guy, eating at Two Georges, the restaurant across the channel hired me to scrape his boat while he had lunch. Many lunch-folk were startled by ScubaKev's stealthy approach, the boat was pretty clean. I saw three barnacles, a cinder-block and lots of drinking straws. Something touched me, I don't know what.

"There is an urgent telephone call for a Mr. Mike Nelson if he is in the restaurant.
I think there might be a fish on the line."

Whew! Happy Valentines Day! Hear about giant pointy waves, nurse sharks and more in today's installment of the Boynton Dive Report, "The day that Big Sage Came to Town". First, thanks Big Sage for coming to visit!
Anyway, the day started out nice enough, with about 1-2' seas. Vis was still kinda crappy, but improved from yesterday, I said about 50', but dropping off Big Sage and I took a small group in at Black Condo. There was a slight South current, so we did Gulfstream in reverse. 20 minutes into the dive the current went to nil, then at 31 minutes started North. 39 minutes into the dive, it was moving enough that we decided to turn around and re-cover some reef just to go with the flow. Notables included a lizard fish that seemed like he didn't like being pointed at, and a pretty big spotted morray eel that was bothered by my presence. He looked like he was trying to rustle up some grub.Conditions topside had deteriorated considerably during the hour that we were down. It was rough enough that the captian asked me to stay up on the boat for the second dive. Big Sage and the other guys went back in, with a guy who comes out with us from time to time taking the flag. I know that they saw a big nurse shark, but I'm hoping that Big Sage could maybe take it from here...

Was actualy pretty good. We started out poking along the ridges under the ledge. Good hunting there! We chased one stubborn lobster (that got away), and in the hustle ran up on a pretty good size nurse shark. The reef is one of the most beautifull I've been on. Absolutely must and will be back. Great company today. Thumbs up to Splash Down.

TCooperWFI:
Great reports, keep 'em coming.
I look forward to making the trip down this summer.

Hey, thanks! Well, here's today's Boynton Dive Report. Seas were like 1'. Nice. Vis was about 50' again, or as I like to say, "Condusive to dense aquatic life concentration." It's true though... the fish really seem to pack in on the reef when the vis is down. They seem more approachable too. Maybe its a nocturnal/diurnal thing. Maybe someone knows and will share the answer with us. For now though, like I said, the vis was like 50'. A little chilliness in the water today, 73 degrees. Rick Z. called it "Brisk." So, the first drop was the Captain Tony. Notables included two Goliath Grouper (Jewfish), the everpresent school of Barracuda on the bow, and one very large Black Grouper.
The second dive we split drops between Tabletops, Castle Ledge and Linn's. Collectively notables include the giant school of Spadefish, several Morrays, Nurse Sharks, and a large pod of Bottlenose Dolphins (topside). Many people were excited about much more than I have listed, a Spotted Drum was one fish, the Queen Angles too... so many fish that I am spoiled by seeing every day. I sometimes forget how cool they are because I see them so much. I like diving with folks that haven't ever been diving here before. They help to keep me from taking our reef for granted, keep it new. You know? Thanks, -Kev

Scubakevdm:
So! I missed it! Yesterday was reported to be like 120' vis with a South current. We didn't have enough people to run a trip. Anyway, we did go out today and here it is... today's Boynton dive report.
1/14/04 Seas flat. Winds - winds? I think a breeze from the West. Vis... like 60', maybe 55'. There was alot of big suspended particles, and everything was kinda silty. It's odd that we couldhave had crystal clear water yesterday, and still have this much silting today, perhaps the reports of yesterday's vis were untrue. Does anyone know how the vis was on 1/13? Anyway, great dives today, especially for the photographers. Three batfish, a scorpionfish and lengthy interacion with an old loggerhead and an adult hawksbill.
Today's lesson learned... don't dive dry with jeans on. Ow.
looking foward to sat. dive, will bring and take my dramamine,

madeline:
looking foward to sat. dive, will bring and take my dramamine,

Hey, great! I look forward to meeting you! Speaking of looking forward, NOAA seems to think Saturday won't be too bad- however, if you are prone to motion illness, its best to take the dramamine anyway just in case. It seems kinda important to take that kind of stuff pretty early too, at least a couple hours before the trip. Anyway here's today's report. Seas were pretty nice, 1-2' at first, then some long rollers building in the afternoon. The surge really started to stir up the bottom. The vis on dive 1 was like 25'. On dive 2, like 35'. The first dive we dropped in at Inside Out, just north of the fingers on the outside in about 80'. It's a tricky dive that can be spectacular, what Peter calls " an exotic". It was not spectacular today. The reef turns to the NW right where we dropped in. The current was ripping pretty hard to the North, maybe almost 2 kts., so it was a struggle even to stay on the reef. Any aquatic life was ducked in behind barrel sponges or ledges or whatever was available to get out of the wind. There was some very cool hard coral that I've never noticed before, Boulder Brain Coral, and Sun Ray Lettuce coral I think. I don't know a ton about coral. Anyway, I'll check it out again soon. It's amazing what you'll find out there without a bunch of fish cluttering up the place.
So, the next dive was spectacular. We crossed over to the inside of the reef and dropped in at the North end of Clubhouse, on the "inside inside" or fringing reef. We migrated on over to the main reef, spotting a Nurse Shark along the way. The current was still moderately strong, but nothing like it was on the outside. There were fish everywhere. There would be times that it looked like we were swimming over some kind of psyco-dellic churning fish rug. Seriously, there were times when I couldn't see the bottom because the fish were schooling so thick. It was wild. Notables include the density of life, good interaction with Loggerhead and Hawksbill turtles, morrays... all the regular cool stuff, just lots of it.

I am looking forward to Sat. as well. In fact I added the morning dive to the already scheduled afternoon dive. I think I've talked my dive buddy to do the morning dive or else she is just going to have to hang out taking her sea sick pills till the afternoon dive. We have at least four people from up here going on both trips......soooooo you are stuck with us all day......hehehe. ;-)

Chuck

SmokeAire:
I am looking forward to Sat. as well. In fact I added the morning dive to the already scheduled afternoon dive. I think I've talked my dive buddy to do the morning dive or else she is just going to have to hang out taking her sea sick pills till the afternoon dive. We have at least four people from up here going on both trips......soooooo you are stuck with us all day......hehehe. ;-)

Chuck
Awsome! NOAA sems to think Sat will be nice too. Anyway, speaking of nice... here's today's dive report. Seas were flat with a breeze from the West. There was still some long flat rollers causing a fairly strong surge, but the vis was there. Beautiful blue water, about 65-70' visability. There was a moderate North current. Today was exotic drop day. The first drop was Tabletops/The Finger/The Jump. Tabletops is a field of undercut coral heads that runs generally NW. The Finger is at the extreme inside edge of the top of Tabletops and is a narrow roll-off with an off-shore facing ledge that runs North until the end of the main reef where it becomes connected. The Jump is a small but tall reef about 200' North of the main reef. It takes kind of a leap of faith to get there. Anyway, tons of giant Nurse Sharks, a Guitar Fish, some Black Grouper,and awesome reef structure. Tons of fish, especially at the North end of The Finger.
The next set was Jerry's no-name/Castle/Linn's. Jerry's is kinda scrubby coral heads with lots of rubble in between. Castle is a dramatic shore-facing high relief ledge, and Linn's is the crest of the reef... it's real craggly with some relief every now and again. It's probably the prettiest, definately the fishiest part of the reef. There was a very cool, very large Hawksbill munching away on something. He peeped us out for a minute, then went back to his lunch. There were more Black Groupers, a giant Hawgfish and more giant Nurse Sharks. It was a very very excellent day to be diving today. We had a great group. Oh yeah, we saw a Sailfish jumping on the SI too.
Here's the Spotted Eagle Ray pics from the other day too.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom