Boynton Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay! I'm back, and if you weren't diving Boynton today, you missed it. Seas flat calm, Vis - about 70, maybe 75 ft. A very gentle South current. Water temp... 75 again. I will try to remember to verify accuracy of my computer tomorrow, but it felt like 75. Anyway I was really hoping to spot some whale sharks today, but did not. It was an excellent day for large aquatic life interaction, with two curious turtles three good sized nurse sharks and a 3.25 lb lobster that I found. Here's some pics, you can see the lobster in the turtle pic, a little. -Kev

Okay! So due to a horrible twist of fate I did not get to dive yesterday (1/10), but still ran two trips. Everyone had fun. Two hunters captured 5 keeper lobsters and two hawgs and a mutton snapper. Today's dives were not very fun... unless you like large waves.
Here it is , the Bonton Dive Report for 1/11/04... Seas 6-8' with occasional 10's and even a couple 12's. Vis... maybe 10' on the reef, about 45' on the wreck "Captain Tony". Vis was due to about a five or six foot surge stirring up the bottom. Still, we saw a turtle. The passengers were all experienced divers and did a great job. I guess you have to make a certain number of dives like this to get the ones at the other end of the spectrum. I don't anticipate anymore reports until the ground swell subsides.- Kev

Ill be there in feb, dove with splashdown last year, real good op.

So! I missed it! Yesterday was reported to be like 120' vis with a South current. We didn't have enough people to run a trip. Anyway, we did go out today and here it is... today's Boynton dive report.
1/14/04 Seas flat. Winds - winds? I think a breeze from the West. Vis... like 60', maybe 55'. There was alot of big suspended particles, and everything was kinda silty. It's odd that we couldhave had crystal clear water yesterday, and still have this much silting today, perhaps the reports of yesterday's vis were untrue. Does anyone know how the vis was on 1/13? Anyway, great dives today, especially for the photographers. Three batfish, a scorpionfish and lengthy interacion with an old loggerhead and an adult hawksbill.
Today's lesson learned... don't dive dry with jeans on. Ow.

Oops! I fordgot to write the report yesterday, So here it is... Boynton diving 1/16/04. Seas were less than one with wind to about 5 kts from the West, Northwest. Vis was about 70' once you got down below 45' but above 45' was kinda milky. This caused the water to be a bit green, but the vis was still there. My computer is out on the boat, but I would estimate water temp to have been mid-seventies, no change. We dove the wreck "Captain Tony" (about 90' in the sand) and Castle Ledge and worked our way up to Linn's (65'/45'). There was a goliath grouper on the Tony that I believe someone has been feeding, it acted like a cat starving for attention swimming all under my arm and around my back. Don't these fish know there's laws against harassing divers? Anyway, impressive to the group I had. At least they're protected. Also nurse sharks and a friendly hawksbill.

Hey, what a great day to dive it was today! Seas were like 1-2', but built throughout the day. It might have been 2-3' after the afternoon trip, leaning towards 2'. Anyway, Vis was about 80' and the water was pretty and blue. Super cool stuff for today... another adult hammerhead heading south along the crest of the reef. He was kinda shy though. All the regular cool stuff too, like turtles and nurse sharks and morrays. We had some really great divers today too. They had alot of fun, and it was a pleasure diving with them. Here's some pics from the report before last, I think.

Aaagh! I forgot yesterday's report again. Sorry, but here it is to the best of my recollection. Winds were like 20-25 kts from the Southeast, and waves were big and unpleasant. Probably 4-6. The diving however was very nice. Vis was like 100 feet, water temp 75. I hung way up high, 'cause the vis was so good and just took the whole reef in. I saw two big green morays freeswimming out in the sand, which I thought was a little odd. Also, the big old loggerhead from the pictures above spotted me and came all the way up from the bottom just to say hello. She's nice. A hunter captured three hogfish and a lobster.
Okay, now the report for today, 1/19/04. Seas... flat. Vis about 60', maybe 65'. We dove the "Captain Tony" the first dive, and saw tons of barracuda, the friendly Jewfish (not friendly today though) and another one, about six feet long who would not let me within about 20' of it. We had AOW students with us, and they were moving around a bit too much for the groupers I guess. Anyway, the second dive was on Gulfstream, and was quite nice as well. The current was moderate, North at about one kt.

Hey! The word for today is... dolphins! But first, the regular Boynton dive report stuff for 1/20/04. Seas were about 1-2'. Slow flat rollers. Wind was from the West, maybe 10-15 kts. Vis was kinda crappy, about 50-55' but there was alot of life (as there always is when the vis drops off). Notables include the old loggerhead from the pictures again, who spent about five minutes swimming in circles inside our group of three as we drifted along the reef. She really seems to enjoy swimming with divers, there's a couple of hawksbills that seem to as well. Also, I spotted a GIANT loggerhead who was not at all friendly. He was all dusty and mean looking. His head was like the size of a basketball.
The really cool stuff happened on the way back in, when Lynn spotted a pod of dolphins near the inlet. One of the passengers and I dropped in with a mask and fins on. Three of them were on a collision course with us, and dove about 35' before they reached us. I dove straight down to about 20', and there they were swimming about 12' below me, just above the bottom. I could hear them squealing and chirping. They all rolled over and looked up at me as they passed below me, then disappeared out of sight. Very cool. That's about it for today! -Kev

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom